1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a quick check.

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1
    These are the questions I've been working on and my physics teacher is away and I just need to have someone look these over before I continue on with the position-time, velocity-time, and acceleration-time graphs that I need to make. (His suggestion) Just to make sure that the information I have currently is accurate, or at the very least leaning in the right direction so I can correct them.
    *Please excuse the poor quality of the scans*

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

(a) You go from [itex]v = \Delta d / \Delta t[/itex] (correct!) to [itex]\Delta t = v \Delta d[/itex] (incorrect!)
    (b) OK
    (c) The average speed is [itex]\Delta d / \Delta t[/itex]; what's the average speed?
    (d) Use [itex]\Delta d = v \Delta t[/itex]--you made an error similar to what you did in part a. (And don't confuse speed [itex]v[/itex] with change of speed [itex]\Delta v[/itex].)
  4. Oct 5, 2005 #3
    You need to use equations for uniform acceleration ([itex]v_2^2 = v_1^2 + 2ad[/itex] or [itex]d = v_1t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]) for (c) and time should be 5s for (d) since it's only asking the distance past the hill.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  5. Oct 10, 2005 #4
  6. Oct 10, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?