Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need a setup for a fiction problem

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    Need a setup for a friction problem

I know the concept of this problem but i don't know how to set it up....

'A large cube (mass= 25 kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (mass= 4.0 kg) is in contact with the front surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.17. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downward?'

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    anyone please help me

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    P of the box needs to equal the normal force of the little box onto the big box. Draw two FBDs. On of a little box showing the effects of friction, a normal force and weight. Remember, the little box is in static equalibrium when referenced to the big box. The entire two box system may be accelerating due to force P but the comparison of the two boxs should help you figure this out.

Draw a FBD of the big box as well. The N of the little box onto the big one equals the N of the big box onto the little BTW.

Good luck.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook