1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need a setup for a fiction problem

1. Oct 14, 2004 #1
    Need a setup for a friction problem

I know the concept of this problem but i don't know how to set it up....

'A large cube (mass= 25 kg) being accelerated across a horizontal frictionless surface by a horizontal force P. A small cube (mass= 4.0 kg) is in contact with the front surface of the large cube and will slide downward unless P is sufficiently large. The coefficient of static friction between the cubes is 0.17. What is the smallest magnitude that P can have in order to keep the small cube from sliding downward?'

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2004 #2
    anyone please help me

4. Oct 14, 2004 #3
    P of the box needs to equal the normal force of the little box onto the big box. Draw two FBDs. On of a little box showing the effects of friction, a normal force and weight. Remember, the little box is in static equalibrium when referenced to the big box. The entire two box system may be accelerating due to force P but the comparison of the two boxs should help you figure this out.

Draw a FBD of the big box as well. The N of the little box onto the big one equals the N of the big box onto the little BTW.

Good luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?