Need a sit to explain the basics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a resource for learning mathematics, specifically Euclidean geometry and vectors. The individual is struggling with understanding the topic and is considering going back to college after a long break from pure math. They are also discussing the equation for a plane and suggest reading a calculus textbook for further understanding.
RufusDawes
Does anyone know of a site that will help me learn mathematics ?.

Having trouble with Euclidean geometry and vectors. Need a good source to read up on it and some examples would be good too.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a library nearby I would reocmmend trying to find a text there... not sure what to suggest, but maybe have a flip through until you find something suitable?

How is your Algebra knowledge? Have you previously studied Euclidean Geometry (assuming you mean "College Preparatory...") before?

Certain people do poorly in Euclidean Geometry during their first year studying but do better in their other three years of Math in high school. After all of that development, ... Geometry becomes easier to learn when studied a second time. What do you find to be difficult about Geometry and Vectors right now?

I am having trouble understanding how to find the cartesian equation.

I can do it it mechanically but I do not understand how it works, at all.

I'm not in high school I am going over a first year University mathematics course to try to learn it all before I consider going back to college as it has been a while ( 6 years ) since I have really done any pure math.

Find the vector equation of the plane containing the points (1,2,7),(2,3,4) and (-1,2,1)

Form two vectors from your 3 points.
V1 = P2 - P1
V2 = P3 - P1

We can then use these two vectors to find a vector N perpendicular to the plane.
N = V1XV2 , where X is the cross product.

Now we realize that a vector r is in the plane iff the dot product (r-P1).N = 0. (ie: If the vector from P1 to r is orthogonal to n, then r is on the plane.)

r is simply an arbitrary position vector given by (x,y,z).
P1 is a given point (x_o, y_o, z_o)
n is V1 X V2 = (A, B, C)
The equation then becomes
(x-x_o, y-y_o, z-z_o).(A,B,C) = 0
A( x - x_o) + B(y - y_o) + C(z - z_o) = 0

Most calculus texts have a whole chapter or two on vectors and vector geometry so I suggest reading that first.

1. What is the purpose of a "Need a sit to explain the basics"?

A "Need a sit to explain the basics" (also known as a "sit and explain") is a method used in scientific research to provide a simplified and concise explanation of complex concepts to a non-expert audience.

2. How is a "Need a sit to explain the basics" different from a traditional presentation or lecture?

The main difference is that a "Need a sit to explain the basics" is usually a one-on-one or small group conversation, rather than a formal presentation to a large audience. It also focuses on breaking down complex ideas into easy-to-understand language and may use visual aids or interactive activities.

3. Who can benefit from a "Need a sit to explain the basics"?

Anyone who wants to learn more about a scientific topic or concept can benefit from a "Need a sit to explain the basics." It is especially useful for individuals without a background in the subject or for those who struggle with understanding technical jargon.

4. How should a scientist prepare for a "Need a sit to explain the basics"?

The scientist should first identify the main concepts they want to explain and break them down into simpler terms. They should also gather any visual aids or props that may help in the explanation. It's also helpful to anticipate potential questions from the audience and prepare answers in advance.

5. Can a "Need a sit to explain the basics" be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, the concept of breaking down complex ideas into simpler terms and having a one-on-one or small group conversation can be applied in various fields, such as education, business, and technology. However, the term "Need a sit to explain the basics" is commonly used in the scientific community.