Need advice for catching up after having been out of physics for five years

In summary, If you have been admitted to a top 20 physics grad program after being out of the field for five years, it is recommended to focus on reviewing and strengthening your understanding of E&M. This includes brushing up on fundamentals, practicing problem-solving, using a good textbook, seeking help from a professor or mentor, and utilizing online resources.
Geezer
Long story short: I got admitted to a top 20 physics grad program. I'm thrilled about finally working towards my PhD in Physics, but I've been out of physics for nearly five years now. So, I'm looking for advice on what I can do between now and September to "catch up."

My current game plan is to focus on E&M, since it was my weakest area as an undergrad (I had a HORRIBLE E&M instructor) and I will have to take two quarters of it this upcoming academic year (not to mention it makes up something like 30% of the material on our Comps).

Advice? Suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd really appreciate any input! One suggestion is to start reviewing the basics of E&M. Make sure you understand the fundamentals, including vector calculus, Maxwell's equations, and electromagnetic waves. Brush up on your problem-solving skills and practice working through problems. Additionally, find a good textbook that covers the topics you will need to know and read through it. If there is a professor or mentor available to you, reach out to them for help with any topics that are giving you trouble. Finally, look into online resources like Khan Academy or Coursera for additional help.

What are the best resources for catching up on physics after being away for five years?

The best resources for catching up on physics after a long break include textbooks, online courses, and review books. Additionally, attending lectures or joining study groups can also be helpful.

How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts after being away for so long?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to practice solving problems. This will help you apply the concepts you have learned and identify any gaps in your knowledge. You can also try explaining the concepts to someone else or creating flashcards to help with memorization.

Are there any specific topics in physics that I should prioritize catching up on?

It is important to have a strong foundation in the core topics of physics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and optics. However, it would also be beneficial to prioritize topics that are relevant to your current field or interests.

Should I start by reviewing my old notes or starting from scratch?

This depends on your personal learning style and the amount of time that has passed since you last studied physics. If it has been a significant amount of time, it may be best to start from scratch and use your old notes as a reference. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of the material, reviewing your old notes can be a good way to refresh your memory.

What is the best way to stay motivated while catching up on physics?

One way to stay motivated is to set small, achievable goals for yourself and track your progress. It can also be helpful to find a study partner or join a study group to keep yourself accountable and motivated. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work.