1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need advice for my future

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm 14 and am currently in Secondary Education. I excel in maths and science as a whole and am the best at both in my year group. From an early age I've been interested in Theoretical Physics. How should I pursue this, what branches of Theoretical Physics are there and will it be a good career path to follow? Also, does anyone know of any websites where I can research into higher level Physics than I do at school?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Forget physics for now. I think it is more important now to practice a lot of mathematics. Try to study things like algebra, trigonometry and geometry. Once you know this, you can do physics (algebra-based physics, that is, which you might find extremely boring).

A good book you should look at is "basic mathematics" by Serge Lang. However, that book might be too advanced for you. I know I would find it too hard when I was 14. But perhaps it's nice to browse through it and see what things you know, and what things you need to catch up on.

Also, I will probably need to warn you that theoretical physics probably isn't is what you think it is. See https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=3727 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook