Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Need advice from mech/aero space engineers

1. Feb 22, 2005 #1
    Hello, I'm a sophomore in college getting a dual degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering. I pretty much know everything we're doing in classes or everything is really easy so I have a lot of free time on my hands. What do you think I can do that will help me in my future career? I was thinking about getting a program like mathematica and playing around with it or reading online about engines and how they work and stuff but I think I'll just learn about those things down the road. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2005 #2

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd focus on the things you "don't have time for" or don't bump into down the road ... like math and everything which helps you in building up a good theoretical - basis. "Later in life" it seems that the threshold for learning & finding the time for this type material is really hard to come by ("disclaimer" : this is just me and I typically overemphasize theory, let's see what others have to say).

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Right now, the soph. level is just finishing up the pre-requisites and the basic engineering classes. You haven't really gotten to the meat and potatoes of the curricula. I'd say that if you have free time, enjoy it while you can (possibly spend some time studying the definition of "humility"), because it won't/shouldn't last. Even if you perfectly understood every topic presented to you, there should be enough homework, reports, projects, etc... to keep you burried for quite a while.

BTW...what exactly is your desired career?

5. Feb 22, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Free time? On an engineering degree? Are you sure you have the right timetable?

Well, if you insist!

Learn how to use MathCad, then Matlab. Then learn Solidworks, Pro Engineer and AutoCAD. Next, learn how to use Fluent and Ansys, or some other CFD and FEA packages. Perhaps learn some programming languages.

Once you've done all that, go out and have a beer.

6. Feb 22, 2005 #5
    I just want to be a mechanical or aerospace engineer. Actually, I'm more into designing stuff but I don't mind getting my hands dirty.

Trust me, if I were in MIT and had free time, I would be drinking beer. However, I'm not at the best University/college out there (one of the top party schools :biggrin: ) and just don't want to be behind when I graduate.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  7. Feb 27, 2005 #6
    what college do you go to?

8. Feb 28, 2005 #7
    I go to WVU.

9. Feb 28, 2005 #8
    I don't know man, i mean really whats the point of majoing in two very close Engineerings. If i were would i'd pick up a degree in Physics or something like that, it would better suite you in the long run.

10. Mar 1, 2005 #9
    I was contemplating a decision between a physics degree and a Mechanical Engineering degree for my university. In the end, I decided to go with the engineering degree because there are no jobs in physics. Sure its fun as hell and you do what you love but there is no money in it unless you work for a large company as a senior physicist.

Regards,

Nenad

11. Mar 14, 2005 #10
    I'd say learn MATLAB and SolidWorks. I am a freshman right now, and I use both of those a lot both for class and for a club.

Also C++ programming is a good idea to learn. It is free to get the compiler, I think it is off www.bloodshed.net

Then just get a book and learn how to start programming.

12. Mar 14, 2005 #11
    you should try CATIA V7. 6CD's for installation. Crazy program to learn. Solid Works is also good one. I really like the finite element anaysis it offers.

Regards,

Nenad

13. Mar 14, 2005 #12
    The COSMOS part of solidworks has crashed my computer before, so make sure you have LOTS of memory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?