Need advice: master in Canada and phd in the US?

In summary: Sure, it can help, but if you don't have strong academic credentials then it won't matter as much.In summary, although getting a masters in physics may help increase your chances of getting into a top US PhD program, it's not the only factor that will be considered.
Stan Marsh
Hello, everyone! I have a question here and I am really looking forward to hear your advices.
I am now applying for phd programs, and I am aiming at the top universities in the US. However, based on my performance, I think my chance going to the, say, top 6 or top 10 is very small. (personally I think maybe I can get an offer from colleges rank 20 or around) So I am thinking of one possible career path:

Doing a master at a Canada university like U of T first, then apply for a top univ phd. master programs there have scholarships so I can do it. Then with a stronger research background, I am more likely to get in a top college in the US.
Of course other master programs like cambridge part iii math, imperial college QFFF and ETH master program are also taken into my consideration. But the financial support may be a big problem.

I am choosing this also because I am from China, and for certain reasons, Chinese students are less likely to get admitted if they state that they want to do theoretical physics, which is (unfortunately) my interest. So another year's training may take me out of the disadvantage.

I am now thinking this seriously. But I am not sure of the possibility. Can you give me some advice? Any comments are appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Getting a Masters' in physics before applying to a US PhD program doesn't really help you, as most of the top programs will make you start from the beginning anyways. Also, unless you do incredibly well in your Masters' program it's likely not going to improve your candidacy very much.

fss said:
Getting a Masters' in physics before applying to a US PhD program doesn't really help you, as most of the top programs will make you start from the beginning anyways. Also, unless you do incredibly well in your Masters' program it's likely not going to improve your candidacy very much.

Thanks for your reply, fss.
However, there may be a few factors you may not considerate:
1. A master degree with a thesis means (possibly) publication in a leading journal, which will put one at advantage in application.
2. Chances of research experience with some first class group worldwide, and recommendations from them.
3. In a western univ, maybe one have a chance to meet my desired phd advisor personally and let him/her know about my capabilities.

Since I am now in China, chances of convincing recommendations and research experience with excellent groups are rare. But these things are really critical in application.

Stan Marsh said:
1. A master degree with a thesis means (possibly) publication in a leading journal, which will put one at advantage in application.

Sure, possibly.

2. Chances of research experience with some first class group worldwide, and recommendations from them.

Possibly.

3. In a western univ, maybe one have a chance to meet my desired phd advisor personally and let him/her know about my capabilities.

Also a possibility.

However, none of these matter if you don't do well academically as far as getting into a "top" program. Research experience only goes so far.

Hello, thank you for reaching out for advice. Pursuing a master's degree in Canada and then applying for a PhD program in the US can be a viable career path. It is important to carefully research and consider the specific programs and universities that you are interested in, as well as their requirements and expectations for admission. Additionally, it may be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni of these programs to gain insight into their experiences and any potential challenges they faced. As for financial support, it is important to thoroughly research and plan for the costs associated with your education, including potential scholarships or funding opportunities. Ultimately, the decision to pursue a master's degree in Canada and then a PhD in the US should be based on your individual goals and circumstances. I wish you the best of luck in your academic pursuits.

What are the benefits of pursuing a master's degree in Canada and a PhD in the US?

The main benefit of pursuing a master's degree in Canada and a PhD in the US is the opportunity to gain a diverse and well-rounded education. Canada and the US are both known for their top universities and research opportunities, providing students with a high-quality education. Additionally, studying in both countries can give students a global perspective and open up opportunities for international collaborations and job prospects.

What is the difference between a master's degree and a PhD?

A master's degree is a graduate-level degree that typically takes 1-2 years to complete. It focuses on a specific field of study and provides students with advanced knowledge and skills in that area. A PhD, on the other hand, is a higher level of education that typically takes 4-6 years to complete. It involves conducting original research and making a significant contribution to the field of study. A PhD is necessary for those wishing to pursue a career in academia or research.

Can I transfer credits from my master's program in Canada to a PhD program in the US?

This depends on the specific universities and programs you are considering. Some universities may accept transfer credits, while others may not. It is best to check with the universities directly to see if they have any transfer credit policies in place.

What are the requirements for admission to a master's program in Canada and a PhD program in the US?

The requirements for admission vary depending on the university and program. Generally, for a master's program in Canada, you will need a bachelor's degree in a related field and a good academic record. For a PhD program in the US, you will typically need a master's degree in a related field, strong letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Additionally, most universities require international students to demonstrate proficiency in English through standardized tests such as TOEFL or IELTS.

Is it beneficial to have a master's degree from Canada and a PhD from the US?

Having a master's degree from Canada and a PhD from the US can be beneficial for several reasons. Firstly, it shows a commitment to education and a willingness to pursue advanced degrees. It also provides a well-rounded education from two highly reputable countries. Additionally, this combination can open up job opportunities in both Canada and the US, as well as internationally.