Need advice on majors in school

In summary, the speaker recently finished their first semester at a community college and wants to major in Applied Mathematics, but the program is not offered. They plan on majoring in Computer Science and then switching after transferring to a university. They are worried about this potentially hurting their chances of transferring and their future career. However, the other person reassures them that this should not be an issue and it's more important to research the transfer requirements of their desired universities. They also mention that the Associates major will not matter after transferring.
Pillage
Hey guys, I just finished my first semester at a community college. I want to major in Applied Mathematics because that's really my passion, but they don't offer that program of study so as of right now I'm majoring in Computer Science and plan on switching majors once I transfer after receiving my Associate's. Would this leave me at a disadvantage in school and maybe later on in my career?

Thanks again guys/gals.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it will. I transferred from a community college to a university and I didn't even have an Associate's. I think the main thing is to figure out what colleges you want to transfer to and then see what they require. So I don't think this will hurt your chances of transferring.

Now, this has even less of a chance of hurting you after you transfer. I don't think anyone will care what your Associates major is if you have a B.S.

1. What are the most popular majors in school?

The most popular majors in school vary from year to year and from school to school. However, some of the most commonly chosen majors include business, psychology, biology, engineering, and education.

2. How do I choose a major in school?

Choosing a major in school can be a daunting task, but there are a few steps you can take to help make the decision easier. Start by exploring your interests, strengths, and career goals. Research different majors and their requirements, and consider speaking with a career counselor or advisor for guidance.

3. What are some important factors to consider when selecting a major in school?

When selecting a major in school, it is important to consider factors such as your interests, strengths, career goals, job market demand for the major, and potential salary. You should also think about the types of courses and skills you will gain from the major, as well as any extracurricular opportunities or internships available.

4. Can I change my major in school?

Yes, you can change your major in school. It is not uncommon for students to change their majors, and it is important to remember that it is never too late to switch. However, changing your major may result in additional time and coursework needed to complete your degree.

5. What if I am still undecided about my major in school?

If you are still undecided about your major in school, it is important to not rush into a decision. Take the time to explore your interests and strengths, and consider taking classes in different subjects to help you make a decision. You can also speak with a career counselor or advisor for guidance and support.