Triangulating Sound Sources Using Time Differences: A Numerical Approach

In summary, the conversation discusses triangulating the angle and/or distance of a sound source using three microphones set up in a triangle. If the locations of the microphones and the time the sound took to arrive are known, the source can be located at the intersection point of three circles. However, if only the first arrival and time gaps for the other two microphones are known, a numerical solution can be used to determine the distance.
Number2Pencil
This is really a brain fart I had from thinking about this homework problem:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1661639#post1661639

But if I have three mics set up in a triangle, a sound source at an unknown location (inside or outside of the triangle) and all I know is which mic the sound reached first, and the time it takes to travel to the other two mics, is there a standard way of triangulating the angle and/or distance?

maybe similar to the way they determine the source of an earthquake (except I dont' know the beginning time of the source...) ?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you know the locations of the mics, and the time the sound took to arrive, then you know the distances - assumed that the speed of sound is equal in all directions. This gives you three circles around the mics and the source of the sound has to be on an intersection point of all three circles. However, if you only know which arrived first and then the time gaps for the other two, things are a bit more difficult, since you don't have a scale. In this case you will probably assume a parameter ##d## for the first distance and solve the problem numerically in dependence of ##d##.

1. What is triangulation and why is it important in research?

Triangulation is a research technique that involves using multiple methods or data sources to study a phenomenon. It is important because it helps to increase the validity and reliability of research findings by reducing bias and providing a more comprehensive understanding of the topic.

2. What are the different types of triangulation?

The three main types of triangulation are methodological triangulation (using multiple research methods), data triangulation (using multiple data sources), and theoretical triangulation (using multiple theoretical perspectives).

3. How do I determine which triangulation method to use in my research?

The choice of triangulation method depends on the research question and the availability of resources. Methodological triangulation is useful for exploring complex phenomena, data triangulation is useful for validating findings, and theoretical triangulation is useful for gaining a deeper understanding of the topic.

4. What are some potential challenges with triangulation?

One potential challenge is the time and resources required to implement triangulation. It may also be difficult to integrate findings from different methods or data sources. Additionally, the use of triangulation may not always be appropriate or feasible for certain research questions.

5. How can I ensure the validity and reliability of my triangulation findings?

To ensure validity and reliability, it is important to clearly define the research question and the methods and data sources used in the triangulation process. It is also important to address potential biases and limitations in the research design and to thoroughly analyze and interpret the triangulated findings.