Can a Low CGPA and Extended Degree Affect My Plans for an MS and PhD in Physics?

In summary, the person wanted to pursue physics when they were in high school, but changed their mind after they got a bad experience in college. They are now doing a course in Java and are planning to pursue an MS in theoretical physics before doing a PhD.
kapv89
I am from India, wanted to pursue physics when was in high school, still want it,

I got admission into a top technical university (IIT Delhi) and took up a 4 year B.Tech in engineering physics because i just 'thought' that the word physics would mean i would be studying physics, the science (also didn't have anyone knowledgeable enough on these matters to ask to and was myself foolish enough not to find one)

Things got bad as I realized that this is not i wanted, most of the focus in my course was on the engineering aspect and mainly in material science and optics. I would score,out of 10, a 8 to 10 in courses i found interesting, and ended up flunking(which i had to repeat) or just getting a 4 or 5 in other courses. Dropping out and changing the course/university was too much for my parents, so i continued

Since most of the courses i flunked were my core courses, i now have an extended degree, i.e, i would be completing my course in 5 years with around 6 to 6.5 gpa

I want to pursue physics, i started studying physics (and programming too as i like it) in vacations by myself (when others are busy doing things to notch up their resume or just chilling out), when i realized i don't 'know' them as good as i should. So my basic quantum and electrodynamics are pretty strong (Still have to brush up classical as it wasn't paid much attention to by the department, and was taught by a lousy prof) . I will be doing a course in Java coming semester and have already studied major portion of it. I am also about to complete a book on GTR(a few chapters left).

I have got an year and a half left

About my future plans, the only thing I am sure of is getting Sun certificates by studying enough java and giving their exams.

I want to pursue an MS in theoretical physics, either from IISc in India(which puts quite a lot of emphasis on their entrance tests), or some good (not aiming for a top notch one) foreign university (2-3 profs of mine would give me reco, as i liked their courses) before going on for a PhD in a better university while pursuing the programming thing.

But I don't know to what extent this extended degree and 6 something cgpa are going to affect my plans for MS and PhD

Please 'enlighten' me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I can relate to u in lot of things.I've done my Btech in ECE. Even I am looking for guidance regarging graduation in physics.Im sad that no on has replied to this thread.newayz what r u up to ?Im planning to take JAM n searching for other institutes where i can pursue grad.

most probably, I'm going for CAT(mba), or a job, if i find a good one, will study physics by myself as a hobby, or a 'passion', if i use a better word, as i think i can do that better than when studying for a grade or something. Also hate the idea of somebody else sitting on my head and telling me what to do instead of having a free environment. I'll see if i can make something of the physics i study. That's the 'plan' rt. now, let's see what happens

okiee... All ta best ! I've read in some thread that "There's lot of difference between making a career in physics and being interested in it".
Yup there's to lot to look into, when we r making such decisions.

What is the best way to seek advice when I really need it?

The best way to seek advice when you really need it is to identify someone who is knowledgeable and experienced in the area you need advice on. It could be a mentor, a friend, a family member, or a professional in the field. Be clear and specific about the advice you need and ask for their honest opinion and guidance.

How do I know if the advice I receive is reliable and trustworthy?

To determine the reliability and trustworthiness of the advice you receive, consider the source. Is the person giving the advice qualified and experienced in the relevant field? Do they have a track record of providing sound advice? Also, take into account your own instincts and judgment. If something feels off or doesn't align with your values and beliefs, it may be best to seek advice from someone else.

Is it okay to ask for advice from multiple people?

Absolutely! Seeking advice from multiple sources can provide you with different perspectives and help you make a well-informed decision. However, be mindful of who you ask and how you use the advice you receive. It's important to consider the individual's expertise and their potential biases.

What should I do if the advice I receive conflicts with my own thoughts and feelings?

If the advice you receive conflicts with your own thoughts and feelings, take a step back and evaluate both perspectives. Consider the reasons behind the conflict and determine which option aligns with your goals and values. It's also okay to seek further clarification from the advice-giver or seek advice from someone else.

How do I show gratitude to someone who has given me valuable advice?

There are many ways to show gratitude to someone who has given you valuable advice. You can thank them in person or send a thank-you note. You can also offer to help them in some way or pay it forward by offering advice to someone else in need. The important thing is to express your appreciation and let them know how their advice has positively impacted you.