Need advice: should I take solid state physics?

In summary: Stat Mech course (not the University physics level course that combines thermoelectricity and stat mech) is required in order to complete a bachelors in the US. At least, every university I have come across requires it.
HeLiXe
Somehow I missed my registration notification for Fall and the E&M and Mathematical Physics classes are full. I am an astrophysics major. I wanted to take nuclear physics, but it will not be offered again until Fall 2014. I will be taking thermodynamics in the fall, but I am wondering if I should take solid state physics. Is solid state physics important in astrophysics? Reading the course description, I can think of many ways in which it can be useful in astrophysics, but I am wondering if it is essential as I will probably have to eliminate taking a math class such as probability and statistics in order to fit it in my schedule.

Physics news on Phys.org
To interpret observations, you will certainly need some knowledge of statistics. I am not so sure about solid state physics - many interesting objects in space are not solid, and even if they are their motion is often independent of their internal details.
On the other hand, I think statistics (at least the tools you need in physics) is easier to learn on your own than solid state physics.

There are solid state researchers who spend time studying what things might happen under high pressure/temperature conditions like those in the cores of gas giant planets and such. There are many open questions, like about the existence of a metallic phase of hydrogen under such extreme conditions, etc. It's a fairly interesting field of study. If that's the sort of thing you're interested in, go for it. Otherwise it's probably not going to be very useful, especially at the undergraduate level.

daveyrocket said:
There are solid state researchers who spend time studying what things might happen under high pressure/temperature conditions like those in the cores of gas giant planets and such. There are many open questions, like about the existence of a metallic phase of hydrogen under such extreme conditions, etc. It's a fairly interesting field of study. If that's the sort of thing you're interested in, go for it. Otherwise it's probably not going to be very useful, especially at the undergraduate level.

This. Courses in statistical mechanics will prove more useful for the astrophysicist, for example my first stat mech course covered some of the physics in white dwarfs. What I covered in my SS course was largely applications of stat mech, EM and QM but not at a particularly high level.

I found my SS physics course really boring, in fact it's the only course in my entire curriculum that I ever really felt was a chore more often than not, so I am a little biased. The theory behind electron transport in semiconductors, the anomalous specific heat for solids at low temperature as an indicator of the existence of quanta, and the intro to superconductivity were interesting topics in their own right.

Probably not immediately useful for astrophysics, but it is a mandatory subject in every physics undergrad program I've seen, so there might be a good reason for that. Also, the Physics GRE always has 2-4 elementary questions on the subject (typically stuff from the first 3 chapters of Kittel's book).

I think you will get more out of a probability and statistics course if you don't already know a lot about this subject.

Thanks so much mfb, daveyrocket, and lavabug.

At my school thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are combined into one course. Solid state physics is not required, but it is one of the three classes we have to choose from for major electives. I would like to choose nuclear physics.

Thanks again for the advice. I will keep probability and statistics and do nuclear physics next fall.

If you had stat mech was combined with thermo, consider taking a more advanced statmech course later down the line if you can, as it is immensely important in astrophysics, as well as many other areas.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure a full on stat mech course (not the University physics level course that combines thermo and stat mech) is required in order to complete a bachelors in the US. At least, every university I have come across requires it.

HeLiXe said:
Thanks so much mfb, daveyrocket, and lavabug.

At my school thermodynamics and statistical mechanics are combined into one course. Solid state physics is not required, but it is one of the three classes we have to choose from for major electives. I would like to choose nuclear physics.

Thanks again for the advice. I will keep probability and statistics and do nuclear physics next fall.

Any chance you go to USC Columbia?

Lavabug said:
If you had stat mech was combined with thermo, consider taking a more advanced statmech course later down the line if you can, as it is immensely important in astrophysics, as well as many other areas.
Will do. Thanks Lavabug.
WannabeNewton said:
I'm pretty sure a full on stat mech course (not the University physics level course that combines thermo and stat mech) is required in order to complete a bachelors in the US. At least, every university I have come across requires it.
Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics were recently consolidated at my school (fall of 2012) and there is no full on course in stat mech.
caldweab said:
Any chance you go to USC Columbia?
Nope:wink: I'm in Florida.

HeLiXe said:
Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics were recently consolidated at my school (fall of 2012) and there is no full on course in stat mech.
Interesting. Is it a year long course or something (like a two semester sequence)? At my university, it looks like the upper division stat mech course is a one semester course that is also combined with thermodynamics interestingly: http://cohengroup.ccmr.cornell.edu/courses/phys341/phys341.htm

No, it's only one semester. The only year long class we have in the physics curriculum is astrophysics--divided into stellar and galactic. I just completed stellar. The course description at my school closely matches yours. I wonder if we use the same book :] It's also upper division at my school but I believe it is 4000 level.

If we do use the same book, you do know that we have no choice but to be study buddies right? It's either that or take interpretative dance instead :P

Just out of curiosity, how mathematical is the probability and statistics course you were going to take? Does it for example deal with measure spaces and integration theory?

Well judging by the professor's nerdy countenance--it should be involved. Let me pull up the description.

it has topics relating to measure and integration theory...example given as the central limit theorem. I have no idea what this is right now :/

HeLiXe said:
it has topics relating to measure and integration theory...example given as the central limit theorem. I have no idea what this is right now :/
Why not take the course then? It sounds like it will be a lot of fun and of measurable utility (no pun intended xP).

If it sounds fun, take it. That's half the point. ;)

omg u guys -_-
I've been trying to ditch this class for a few semesters now :biggrin: Seriously I have always wanted to take it but I was wondering if there are more physics related classes I should take and study this on my own as many people say prob and stats is easy to self study. I can't get access to the book for my thermodynamics class yet wbn...but I am too far below your level to be a study buddy

HeLiXe said:
wbn...but I am too far below your level to be a study buddy

Don't worry, he'll spend the entire study time by cracking corny jokes.

HeLiXe said:
I can't get access to the book for my thermodynamics class yet wbn...
Noooo, now we'll never get to muse about the similarities between regular thermodynamics and black hole thermodynamics (you know...since you're into that astrophysics stuff :wink:)
HeLiXe said:
but I am too far below your level to be a study buddy
You spelled "too far above" wrong :smile:

At my university, we have the option of taking a larger two semester course on thermodynamics and statistical mechanics or a one semester course on Statistical mechanics. They split it up like that so as to give the Math Phys students some choice (ie they don't have to do the thermodynamics part). I am still undecided on what I will do.

micromass said:
Don't worry, he'll spend the entire study time by cracking corny jokes.
lolol Thanks for the heads up micromass :tongue2:
WannabeNewton said:
Noooo, now we'll never get to muse about the similarities between regular thermodynamics and black hole thermodynamics (you know...since you're into that astrophysics stuff :wink:)
ZOMG black hole thermodynamics sounds delicious. When will you be taking thermodynamics?
WannabeNewton said:
You spelled "too far above" wrong :smile:
Ha! I wish...
CAF123 said:
At my university, we have the option of taking a larger two semester course on thermodynamics and statistical mechanics or a one semester course on Statistical mechanics. They split it up like that so as to give the Math Phys students some choice (ie they don't have to do the thermodynamics part). I am still undecided on what I will do.

What are you majoring in CAF123?

HeLiXe said:
ZOMG black hole thermodynamics sounds delicious. When will you be taking thermodynamics?
Well the definitive paper on black hole thermodynamics is the original by Hawking et al. which you can read here: http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS/Repo...ew=body&id=pdf_1&handle=euclid.cmp/1103858973 (Wald also does most of the calculations in the paper in ch12 of his text). As far as Hawking papers go, this is definitely one of the easiest to read.

With regards to upper level stat mech / thermo, I will be formally taking the class the coming (fall) semester along with some physics electives. I've finished upper level EM and mechanics so aside from QM and upper level thermo, I'm free to take w\e. I might take an undergraduate GR class just for the fun of it LOL

HeLiXe said:
What are you majoring in CAF123?

I am doing Mathematical Physics in the UK.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials, such as their structure, behavior under different conditions, and interactions with other materials.

2. Why should I consider taking a course in solid state physics?

Solid state physics is a rapidly growing field with applications in various industries, such as electronics, energy, and materials science. It also provides a strong foundation for further studies in physics and related fields.

3. Is solid state physics a difficult subject?

As with any field of science, solid state physics can be challenging, but it is also highly rewarding. It requires a strong understanding of mathematical and theoretical concepts, but with dedication and practice, it can be mastered.

4. What topics are typically covered in a solid state physics course?

A solid state physics course typically covers topics such as crystal structure, electronic and magnetic properties of materials, thermal properties, and semiconductors. It may also include quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics concepts relevant to solid state physics.

5. How can studying solid state physics benefit my career?

Having a strong foundation in solid state physics can open up career opportunities in various industries, including research and development, materials science, and electronics. It also provides valuable analytical and problem-solving skills that are applicable in many fields.