Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need advise. quick.

1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Um, that's a difficult question.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dec 19, 2007 #1
    My departments christmas party is going on, just as I am typing this.
    Should I go?

Cons:
    Ex boyfriend will be there. Today would have been our five year anniversary.
    The party is across the town. It's cold outside and and I'm quite comfy snuggled up right now. I could work on my big talk for next month instead of going.

Pro:
    From past years experience, it's a really great party. I haven't been dancing in a while and I'd love to see my friends again. I've neglected them a bit.
    It was me, who initiated the break up, and I've been coping very well.

So, quick, what would you do? Would you go?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2007 #2
    Absolutely. Company xmas partys with booze, bosses, and boyfriends are the best! :biggrin:

4. Dec 19, 2007 #3
    By all means, go, life is now, it's over before you know it.

5. Dec 19, 2007 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Our christmas party is at a Chuck E Cheese type place, screaming kids, bad food, long drive, no booze, it's lunch.

6. Dec 19, 2007 #5

Astronuc

physarrista

If the party is like:
    Then Go!!!!

Else If the party is like:
    Then Don't Go!!!!

End if

Continue

Our will be in NYC at a nice restaurant with wine and cocktails. :biggrin:

I voted yes, but then I don't have an ex-boyfriend.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007
  7. Dec 19, 2007 #6
    Screw the stupid exboyfriends.

I'm out of the door.

Thanks guys!

8. Dec 19, 2007 #7

Evo

Yay!!!

9. Dec 19, 2007 #8

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gggggggggggooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Dec 19, 2007 #9

Danger

Gold Member

Depending upon the circumstances, company parties are not necessarily as voluntary as they appear. In a lot of cases, they're a political function. Not showing up can be considered an insult to the senior staff, an indication of job dissatisfaction, a slight to your co-workers, or unwillingness to be a 'team player'.
    It's best to go even if you don't want to, and be relatively well-behaved.

11. Dec 19, 2007 #10
    Personally I'd have taken either the alcoholic party or the Chuck E Cheese type event. I had neither. My physics department's party was basically just a whole array of food in the office, scheduled at a highly inconvenient time for the first year grad students, since we have class through the whole thing. I went to the party for five minutes, stuffed my face in front of all the professors, and then brought a cup of egg nog and a cup of apple cider into my E & B (...I mean, E & M) class. The egg nog almost mitigated the torture of Jackson-brand E & B.

12. Dec 19, 2007 #11

mheslep

Gold Member

Great example of how science works! Watch out for those segfaults though.

13. Dec 19, 2007 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I insult mine every other day, they would hate me turning at the staff party, even though i get an invite every year.

14. Dec 20, 2007 #13

Astronuc

My company is family-oriented, and in fact it's like working for family. My office is small and located on the opposite side of the country from the main office, so we have a little get together ourselves. The guys in my office/group are close friends whom I've known for about 15 years.

15. Dec 20, 2007 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

GO!! Who cares about your old boyfriend. Spend time with your friends and have fun! Don't let him ruin the day for you.

16. Dec 20, 2007 #15

Evo

I love the cheerful holiday avatar G01!!! :biggrin:

17. Dec 20, 2007 #16

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Evo! I felt I needed to get into the spirit somehow!

18. Dec 20, 2007 #17

Evo

At least they had food.

Oh well, I guess I will have to go to Chuck E Cheese with my co-workers that don't know if Germany is a country, think dinosaurs are a Darwinist plot and don't know how to conjecture a sentence because of the dangling propositions. They don't drink alcohol because fire water is the work of the devil. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get these people drunk anyway. :frown:

19. Dec 20, 2007 #18
    LOL! Oh my, you are well surrounded. :rofl: Yeah, don't let them drink. Their propositions could dangle out of their conjectures and they would get in trouble...

20. Dec 20, 2007 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, for crying out loud. The party was yesterday. You'd do better to give her advice on how to deal with her hangover.

21. Dec 20, 2007 #20
    Yes. let us all hear how the party was!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?