Should I Go to My Department's Christmas Party?

• Thread starter physarrista
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Advise
In summary, the person is asking for advice on whether or not they should attend their department's Christmas party. They mention that their ex-boyfriend will be there and it would have been their five year anniversary. They also mention that the party is across town and they are comfortable at home. However, they mention that past parties have been great and they haven't seen their friends in a while. They also mention that they initiated the breakup and have been coping well. Others advise them to go to the party, with one person saying that company parties with alcohol, bosses, and significant others are the best. Another person mentions that it is best to attend the party, even if you don't want to, to avoid insulting senior staff or showing job

Would you go?

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, that's a difficult question.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
physarrista
My departments christmas party is going on, just as I am typing this.
Should I go?

Cons:
Ex boyfriend will be there. Today would have been our five year anniversary.
The party is across the town. It's cold outside and and I'm quite comfy snuggled up right now. I could work on my big talk for next month instead of going.

Pro:
From past years experience, it's a really great party. I haven't been dancing in a while and I'd love to see my friends again. I've neglected them a bit.
It was me, who initiated the break up, and I've been coping very well.

So, quick, what would you do? Would you go?

Physics news on Phys.org
Absolutely. Company xmas partys with booze, bosses, and boyfriends are the best! :biggrin:

By all means, go, life is now, it's over before you know it.

Our christmas party is at a Chuck E Cheese type place, screaming kids, bad food, long drive, no booze, it's lunch.

physarrista

If the party is like:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Company xmas partys with booze, bosses, and boyfriends are the best! :biggrin:
Then Go!

Else If the party is like:
Evo said:
Our christmas party is at a Chuck E Cheese type place, screaming kids, bad food, long drive, no booze, it's lunch.
Then Don't Go!

End if

Continue

Our will be in NYC at a nice restaurant with wine and cocktails. :biggrin:

I voted yes, but then I don't have an ex-boyfriend.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:

Screw the stupid exboyfriends.

I'm out of the door.

Thanks guys!

Yay!

Gggggggggggooooooooooooooooooo!

Depending upon the circumstances, company parties are not necessarily as voluntary as they appear. In a lot of cases, they're a political function. Not showing up can be considered an insult to the senior staff, an indication of job dissatisfaction, a slight to your co-workers, or unwillingness to be a 'team player'.
It's best to go even if you don't want to, and be relatively well-behaved.

Astronuc said:
physarrista

If the party is like:
Then Go!

If the party is like:
Then Don't Go!

Personally I'd have taken either the alcoholic party or the Chuck E Cheese type event. I had neither. My physics department's party was basically just a whole array of food in the office, scheduled at a highly inconvenient time for the first year grad students, since we have class through the whole thing. I went to the party for five minutes, stuffed my face in front of all the professors, and then brought a cup of egg nog and a cup of apple cider into my E & B (...I mean, E & M) class. The egg nog almost mitigated the torture of Jackson-brand E & B.

Astronuc said:
physarrista

If the party is like:
Then Go!

Else If the party is like:
Then Don't Go!

End if

Continue

Great example of how science works! Watch out for those segfaults though.

Danger said:
Depending upon the circumstances, company parties are not necessarily as voluntary as they appear. In a lot of cases, they're a political function. Not showing up can be considered an insult to the senior staff, an indication of job dissatisfaction, a slight to your co-workers, or unwillingness to be a 'team player'.

I insult mine every other day, they would hate me turning at the staff party, even though i get an invite every year.

Danger said:
My company is family-oriented, and in fact it's like working for family. My office is small and located on the opposite side of the country from the main office, so we have a little get together ourselves. The guys in my office/group are close friends whom I've known for about 15 years.

GO! Who cares about your old boyfriend. Spend time with your friends and have fun! Don't let him ruin the day for you.

I love the cheerful holiday avatar G01! :biggrin:

Evo said:
I love the cheerful holiday avatar G01! :biggrin:

Thanks Evo! I felt I needed to get into the spirit somehow!

arunma said:
Personally I'd have taken either the alcoholic party or the Chuck E Cheese type event. I had neither. My physics department's party was basically just a whole array of food in the office, scheduled at a highly inconvenient time for the first year grad students, since we have class through the whole thing. I went to the party for five minutes, stuffed my face in front of all the professors, and then brought a cup of egg nog and a cup of apple cider into my E & B (...I mean, E & M) class. The egg nog almost mitigated the torture of Jackson-brand E & B.
At least they had food.

Oh well, I guess I will have to go to Chuck E Cheese with my co-workers that don't know if Germany is a country, think dinosaurs are a Darwinist plot and don't know how to conjecture a sentence because of the dangling propositions. They don't drink alcohol because fire water is the work of the devil. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get these people drunk anyway. :frown:

Evo said:
my co-workers that don't know if Germany is a country, think dinosaurs are a Darwinist plot and don't know how to conjecture a sentence because of the dangling propositions. They don't drink alcohol because fire water is the work of the devil. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get these people drunk anyway. :frown:

LOL! Oh my, you are well surrounded. :rofl: Yeah, don't let them drink. Their propositions could dangle out of their conjectures and they would get in trouble...

G01 said:
GO! Who cares about your old boyfriend. Spend time with your friends and have fun! Don't let him ruin the day for you.

Oh, for crying out loud. The party was yesterday. You'd do better to give her advice on how to deal with her hangover.

Yes. let us all hear how the party was!

The party was great.
Boyfriend ignored me the hole time, but that's his problem.

I had lots of wine, stuffed myself with cookies, chatted with friends and danced to bad music. It couldn't have been better.

Now, back to appearing at least remotely awake for work.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!

physarrista said:
The party was great.
Boyfriend ignored me the hole time, but that's his problem.

I had lots of wine, stuffed myself with cookies, chatted with friends and danced to bad music. It couldn't have been better.

Now, back to appearing at least remotely awake for work.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!
Sounds like an excellent time!

:rofl: I just got a memo reminding us that our Christmas party is "dutch", we have to pay for our own food and drinks. It just keeps getting better! :rofl:

Evo said:
Sounds like an excellent time!
Ditto! :cool:

Evo said:
:rofl: I just got a memo reminding us that our Christmas party is "dutch", we have to pay for our own food and drinks. It just keeps getting better! :rofl:
You have to pay for that??

Well the best place would be here, the next there.

Never loose a party!

Based on the voting - still - if one didn't go last night, one should have.

Danger said:

I liked your logic up to this point. Where the heck does well-behaved come in?
Every one of our Xmas get togethers is so dull we all fall into a stupor. hmm, maybe the right phrase is 'fall into stupid' like the T-shirt: I'm with stupid.

1. Should I attend my department's Christmas party?

Ultimately, the decision to attend your department's Christmas party is up to you. Consider factors such as your relationship with your colleagues, your workload, and your personal preferences.

2. Will attending the Christmas party affect my professional reputation?

Attending your department's Christmas party can actually have a positive impact on your professional reputation. It shows that you are a team player and are willing to participate in company events.

3. What if I don't get along with my colleagues?

If you don't have the best relationship with your colleagues, attending the Christmas party can be a great opportunity to get to know them better and potentially improve your working relationship.

4. Do I have to bring a gift?

Bringing a gift to the Christmas party is not mandatory, but it can be a nice gesture to show your appreciation for your colleagues. If you are unsure, ask the event organizer for any specific guidelines.

5. What if I have other commitments on the same day as the Christmas party?

If you have other commitments on the same day as the Christmas party, it's understandable that you may not be able to attend. However, if possible, try to rearrange your schedule to attend. It's a great opportunity to bond with your colleagues outside of work.