Would you go?

• Yes

Votes: 19 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Um, that's a difficult question.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My departments christmas party is going on, just as I am typing this.
Should I go?

Cons:
Ex boyfriend will be there. Today would have been our five year anniversary.
The party is across the town. It's cold outside and and I'm quite comfy snuggled up right now. I could work on my big talk for next month instead of going.

Pro:
From past years experience, it's a really great party. I haven't been dancing in a while and I'd love to see my friends again. I've neglected them a bit.
It was me, who initiated the break up, and I've been coping very well.

So, quick, what would you do? Would you go?

Answers and Replies

Absolutely. Company xmas partys with booze, bosses, and boyfriends are the best! :biggrin:

By all means, go, life is now, it's over before you know it.

Evo
Mentor
Our christmas party is at a Chuck E Cheese type place, screaming kids, bad food, long drive, no booze, it's lunch.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
physarrista

If the party is like:
Company xmas partys with booze, bosses, and boyfriends are the best! :biggrin:
Then Go!!!!

Else If the party is like:
Evo said:
Our christmas party is at a Chuck E Cheese type place, screaming kids, bad food, long drive, no booze, it's lunch.
Then Don't Go!!!!

End if

Continue

Our will be in NYC at a nice restaurant with wine and cocktails. :biggrin:

I voted yes, but then I don't have an ex-boyfriend.

Last edited:
Screw the stupid exboyfriends.

I'm out of the door.

Thanks guys!

Evo
Mentor
Yay!!!

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Gggggggggggooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danger
Gold Member
Depending upon the circumstances, company parties are not necessarily as voluntary as they appear. In a lot of cases, they're a political function. Not showing up can be considered an insult to the senior staff, an indication of job dissatisfaction, a slight to your co-workers, or unwillingness to be a 'team player'.
It's best to go even if you don't want to, and be relatively well-behaved.

physarrista

If the party is like:
Then Go!!!!

If the party is like:
Then Don't Go!!!!

Personally I'd have taken either the alcoholic party or the Chuck E Cheese type event. I had neither. My physics department's party was basically just a whole array of food in the office, scheduled at a highly inconvenient time for the first year grad students, since we have class through the whole thing. I went to the party for five minutes, stuffed my face in front of all the professors, and then brought a cup of egg nog and a cup of apple cider into my E & B (...I mean, E & M) class. The egg nog almost mitigated the torture of Jackson-brand E & B.

mheslep
Gold Member
physarrista

If the party is like:
Then Go!!!!

Else If the party is like:
Then Don't Go!!!!

End if

Continue

Great example of how science works! Watch out for those segfaults though.

wolram
Gold Member
Depending upon the circumstances, company parties are not necessarily as voluntary as they appear. In a lot of cases, they're a political function. Not showing up can be considered an insult to the senior staff, an indication of job dissatisfaction, a slight to your co-workers, or unwillingness to be a 'team player'.
I insult mine every other day, they would hate me turning at the staff party, even though i get an invite every year.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
My company is family-oriented, and in fact it's like working for family. My office is small and located on the opposite side of the country from the main office, so we have a little get together ourselves. The guys in my office/group are close friends whom I've known for about 15 years.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
GO!! Who cares about your old boyfriend. Spend time with your friends and have fun! Don't let him ruin the day for you.

Evo
Mentor
I love the cheerful holiday avatar G01!!! :biggrin:

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I love the cheerful holiday avatar G01!!! :biggrin:
Thanks Evo! I felt I needed to get into the spirit somehow!

Evo
Mentor
Personally I'd have taken either the alcoholic party or the Chuck E Cheese type event. I had neither. My physics department's party was basically just a whole array of food in the office, scheduled at a highly inconvenient time for the first year grad students, since we have class through the whole thing. I went to the party for five minutes, stuffed my face in front of all the professors, and then brought a cup of egg nog and a cup of apple cider into my E & B (...I mean, E & M) class. The egg nog almost mitigated the torture of Jackson-brand E & B.
At least they had food.

Oh well, I guess I will have to go to Chuck E Cheese with my co-workers that don't know if Germany is a country, think dinosaurs are a Darwinist plot and don't know how to conjecture a sentence because of the dangling propositions. They don't drink alcohol because fire water is the work of the devil. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get these people drunk anyway. :frown:

my co-workers that don't know if Germany is a country, think dinosaurs are a Darwinist plot and don't know how to conjecture a sentence because of the dangling propositions. They don't drink alcohol because fire water is the work of the devil. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to get these people drunk anyway. :frown:
LOL! Oh my, you are well surrounded. :rofl: Yeah, don't let them drink. Their propositions could dangle out of their conjectures and they would get in trouble...

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
GO!! Who cares about your old boyfriend. Spend time with your friends and have fun! Don't let him ruin the day for you.
Oh, for crying out loud. The party was yesterday. You'd do better to give her advice on how to deal with her hangover.

Yes. let us all hear how the party was!

The party was great.
Boyfriend ignored me the hole time, but that's his problem.

I had lots of wine, stuffed myself with cookies, chatted with friends and danced to bad music. It couldn't have been better.

Now, back to appearing at least remotely awake for work.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!

Evo
Mentor
The party was great.
Boyfriend ignored me the hole time, but that's his problem.

I had lots of wine, stuffed myself with cookies, chatted with friends and danced to bad music. It couldn't have been better.

Now, back to appearing at least remotely awake for work.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!
Sounds like an excellent time!

Evo
Mentor
:rofl: I just got a memo reminding us that our Christmas party is "dutch", we have to pay for our own food and drinks. It just keeps getting better!!! :rofl:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Sounds like an excellent time!
Ditto! :cool:

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
:rofl: I just got a memo reminding us that our Christmas party is "dutch", we have to pay for our own food and drinks. It just keeps getting better!!! :rofl:
You have to pay for that?!?!