Need alternate solution to a problem

• Thread starter Davidk1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving the integral of 1/(1-x^2)^3 without using partial fractions. The suggestion is to use substitution, x = sin(t), which leads to the integral of 1/cos^5(t). After some discussion, it is determined that there is no easier way to solve this problem and partial fractions is the best method. The final result is 1/4/cos^4(x)sin(x) + 3/8/cos^2(x)sin(x) + 3/8ln(sec(x)+tan(x)).
Davidk1
Hi, I posted a thread earlier with

int/ 1/(1-x^2)^3

I was able to solve it w/ partial fractions but it took 4 pages...
Can you do this problem w/o partial fractions

Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org
No, partial fractions is the right way to do it.

Try using substitution
x = sin t ?

I got int {1/cos^2 t}.dt
There might be a shortcut to solve this in one line ...

rootX said:
Try using substitution
x = sin t ?

I got int {1/cos^2 t}.dt
There might be a shortcut to solve this in one line ...

I get that there would be a cos upstairs and a cos^6 downstairs so it becomes 1/Cos^5, or sec^5. Not sure if that would be any easier than partial fractions.

Chrisas said:
I get that there would be a cos upstairs and a cos^6 downstairs so it becomes 1/Cos^5, or sec^5. Not sure if that would be any easier than partial fractions.

let's see:
=1/(1-x^2)^3 .dx

x = sin (t)
dx = cos(t).dt

subs:
=cos/(1-sin^2)^3 .dt

=1/cos^5 dt

Yes, you are right, I forgot (^3).

It seems messier

>> syms x;
>> f = sec(x)^5

f =

sec(x)^5

>> int(f,x)

ans =

1/4/cos(x)^4*sin(x)+3/8/cos(x)^2*sin(x)+3/8*log(sec(x)+tan(x))

1. What is the importance of finding alternate solutions to a problem?

Finding alternate solutions to a problem is crucial because it allows for flexibility and adaptability in problem-solving. It also opens up new possibilities and can lead to more effective and efficient solutions.

2. How do you identify the need for an alternate solution?

To identify the need for an alternate solution, it is important to critically evaluate the current solution and assess its effectiveness. Look for any limitations, drawbacks, or areas for improvement. It is also helpful to gather input from others and consider different perspectives.

3. What steps should be taken when seeking alternate solutions to a problem?

The first step is to clearly define and understand the problem. Then, brainstorm and generate multiple potential solutions. Evaluate each solution based on its feasibility, effectiveness, and potential impact. Finally, select the most promising solution and implement it.

4. How do you determine which alternate solution is the best?

The best solution is typically one that addresses the root cause of the problem, is feasible to implement, and has the potential to produce the desired outcome. It should also consider any potential risks and have a clear plan for implementation and evaluation.

5. Can alternate solutions be used in any problem-solving situation?

Yes, alternate solutions can be used in any problem-solving situation. However, it is important to carefully consider the situation and the potential impact of each solution before deciding on the best course of action.