Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Aerospace Need an advise please

  1. Dec 18, 2004 #1


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Suppose I wanted to build an aircraft that would be powered by home made LPG-powered jet engine. It would have to carry at least 180 lbs for a pilot plus fuel and all that stuff. If I wanted to fly this thing - what license would I need (FAA or any other 3-letter place)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2004 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

    FAA must certify that the craft meets their safety standards.

    See - http://www.faa.gov/certification/aircraft/air_index.htm [Broken]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2017
  4. Dec 24, 2004 #3
    You could build it under the "experimental" category and bypass the certification process required for production aircraft. It still required inspection, but it is a simple process compared to a production aircraft.

    Contact the Experimental Aircraft Association for more info. www.eaa.org

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook