Is Resistance Inversely Related to Gradient in a Filament Bulb?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question related to the filament bulb and its resistance, specifically if resistance and gradient are inverse to one another in a curve graph. The person asking the question also mentions using a graph to calculate the gradient and asks if it is possible to find resistance using the inverse of the gradient. The conversation concludes with a confirmation that resistance can be calculated given voltage and current.
mani18
need an urgent help on filament bulb topic

hi everyone
i am getting stuck in this assignment on question related to filament bulb.

the question goes like: is resistance and gradient inverse to one another in filament bulb and when looking at the graph (which is a curve graph)..
we need to explain on how
i could do it for nichrome wire since it had a straight line.
if you could jus tell me on how to show it and brief explanation i would be very grateful.

cheers
mani

Physics news on Phys.org

gradient of what ?

sorry for being clear. hope this one will be clearr enough.
graph is used to calculate the gradient so the question asks can you find the resistance using 1/m (1/gradient) n r they inverse to one another

I would say yes. Can you post the graph ?

okay thank you. here you go.

Attachments

• DSC00682.jpg
    DSC00682.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 410

Yes sure, you can always calculate R given V and I.
The only doubts is if you want the resistance for small changes or not.

1. What is a filament bulb?

A filament bulb is a type of electric light bulb that has a thin wire filament inside that glows when electricity passes through it, producing light. These bulbs were invented in the late 19th century and were commonly used until more efficient lighting options became available.

2. How does a filament bulb work?

A filament bulb works by passing an electrical current through the thin wire filament, which is usually made of tungsten. As the current encounters resistance in the filament, it heats up and produces light. The bulb is filled with an inert gas, such as argon, to prevent the filament from burning up.

3. What are the advantages of using a filament bulb?

One advantage of using a filament bulb is that it provides warm, natural-looking light. It also has a relatively low cost and can last for up to 1,000 hours. Additionally, the filament bulb does not contain any hazardous materials, making it environmentally friendly.

4. What are the disadvantages of using a filament bulb?

One major disadvantage of using a filament bulb is its low energy efficiency. These bulbs waste a lot of energy as heat, making them less cost-effective in the long run. They also have a shorter lifespan compared to newer lighting options, such as LED bulbs.

5. Are filament bulbs still in use today?

While filament bulbs were once the most common type of light bulb, they are now less commonly used due to their low energy efficiency. However, they are still used in certain applications, such as decorative lighting, and some people prefer their warm light over other options.