1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need analytic solution!

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    Hi everyone. Maple and I have collectively racked our brains and I've tried most of the integration techniques I know. Does anyone know the solution to the integral

[tex]\int[/tex] exp(-a*abs(x))*exp(i*(k0-k)*x)*dx

from -infinity to infinity (not sure how to get the limits over the integral sign here in this text box)???

There might be a good change of variables, but my brain is now too fried to think of it. Or does this baby just not have a nice solution? anyone?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    Not me :O)

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

uart

Science Advisor

What? That's trivial if you just split the integral into two parts, one part from -infinity to zero and the other from 0 to infinity as it lets you get rid of the annoying abs(x).

I got [tex] \frac{1}{a-bi} + \frac{1}{a+bi} = \frac{2a}{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

BTW. [tex]b = k_0 - k[/tex] in my solution.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  5. Apr 18, 2008 #4
    Haha, yes, I realized that once I got home and felt REALLY dumb for posting the previous msg. I think in fact you can use trig identities and Euler's relation as well to split into a sin and cos part, then the sin drops out (since it's over a symmetric interval) and you can take twice the integral of the cos part from 0-infinity. That hadn't worked at the time, but it turns out I was being brain-dead and forgetting to drop my abs. Duh!! That's what I get for doing homework on 2 hours of sleep... :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook