How Do You Calculate the Force of a Falling Book on the Floor?

In summary, the mass of the book is 1.5kg and it touched the floor for 0.3 seconds. The velocity of the book when it hit the floor is 3m/s, and the velocity when it bounced off the floor is 1m/s. To calculate the force of the book on the floor, you need to find the acceleration of the book when it hits the floor and use Newton's Second Law of Motion, where Ft = Δp. This formula takes into account the force providing the impulse, the duration of the impulse, and the change in momentum.
drod
a book falls off a bookshelf and hits the floor. given this info calculate the force of the book on the floor.
mass of the book 1.5kg the book touched the floor for .3 sec. the velocity of the book the moment the book hit the floor 3m/s.
the velocity of the book when it bounced off the floor 1m/s.
:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to calculate the accelration of the book when it hits the floor, ie if the book falls at 3m/s and is incontact with the floor for 0.3s then the acceleration is?(you work that one out) then use Newtons 2nd law of motion

and bobs your uncle

I think that is right

newo

You are dealing with an impulse question here. The eqn to use is,

Ft = Δp

F is the force providing the impulse,
t is the (small) duration of the impulse
Δp is the change in momentum

ahhhh yes i miss read the question sorry guys
:yuck:

No prob - feel free to help :smile:

Your solution would have worked, but, in essence it would simply condense down to using the impulse formula I posted.

sorry bit out of context but what part of the north east you from
im at loughborough university in my final year in physics

i hope to do a phd

I'm from Scotland originally, living in Newcastle. I've been to university 4 times, got two degress, one (ordinary) in Computer Science and one (Hons, 1st) in Maths. I started my Masters a while ago but gave up. I may go back to it soonish, via the OU. :smile:

1. What is the best way to approach a homework problem?

The best way to approach a homework problem is to first read the question carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked. Then, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and make a plan to solve each part. It may also be helpful to refer to your class notes or textbook for relevant information.

2. How can I find the answer to a difficult homework problem?

If you are struggling to find the answer to a difficult homework problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and solving each part individually. You can also ask your teacher or classmates for help, or do some additional research online or in your textbook. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed!

3. Is it okay to use online resources to help me solve a homework problem?

Yes, it is okay to use online resources to help you solve a homework problem. However, make sure to use reputable sources and do not simply copy and paste the answer without understanding the process. It is important to learn how to solve problems on your own and use online resources as a supplement.

4. What should I do if I can't find the answer to a homework problem?

If you are unable to find the answer to a homework problem, don't panic. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. You can also try asking your teacher or classmates for assistance, or do some additional research. Remember, it's okay to ask for help and it's important to keep trying.

5. How do I avoid getting overwhelmed by difficult homework problems?

To avoid getting overwhelmed by difficult homework problems, make sure to start early and give yourself enough time to complete the assignment. Break down the problem into smaller parts and take breaks when needed. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with your teacher or classmates to get a different perspective.