1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need assistance(Gussian curvature and differentiable vector fields)

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    Need urgent assistance(Gussian curvature and differentiable vector fields)

Hi I have a very difficult problem where I know some of the dots but can't connect them :(

So therefore I hope that there is someone who can assist me (hopefully :))

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let S be a surface with orientation N. Let [tex]V \subset S[/tex] be an open set in S and let [tex]f: V\subset S \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] be any nowhere zero differentiable function in V. Let [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] be two differentiable (tangent) vector fields in V such that at each point of V, [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] and that [tex]v_1 \land v_2 = N[/tex]

Then prove that [tex]K = \frac{<d(fN)(V_1) \land d(fN)(V_2), fN>}{f^3}[/tex]

p.s. there is also a question two but since this is so difficult I live that out for the time being hoping we can get to that later.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I know

Since S has the orientation N that according to do Carmo Geometry book means that it can be covered with a neighbourhood N.

From what I get is that

dN(v1) = cv1 + dv2 and dN(v2) = ev1 + fv2 but how do Carmo goes from that the above is a mystery to me. So therefore I hope there is someone who would help me understand what I am missing ?

Cheers
    Louisa

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted