Book Suggestions for Undergraduate Topology Class

In summary, the conversation discusses suggestions for additional textbooks for an undergraduate topology class using Munkres' book, including recommendations for Basic Topology by M.A. Armstrong and General Topology by Stephen Willard. It also mentions the possibility of not covering the last two chapters due to time constraints and suggests looking for these books in the library before purchasing.
cap.r
Hello, I am taking my first Under graduate topology class and the class is using Topology by Munkres it's a great book and he has done a good job with explaining things.

but I always like to read from at least two different books and see more examples before I try the homework or convince myself that I know the material.

so any suggestions?

The chapters we will be doing are :
2 Topological Spaces and continuous Functions
3 Connectedness and Compactness
4 Countability and Separation Axioms
9 The Fundamental Group
10 Separation Theorems in the plane
12 Classification of Surfaces
13 Classification of Covering spaces

the last two might not happen if we don't have enough time...

the prof. also recommended Basic Topology by M.A. Armstrong as a secondary reference. but I thought I would check it out before I purchased that one.

thanks,
RK

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Looks like your course could be described as an introduction to topology/algebraic topology.

The Armstrong book has been used at UC Berkeley for just such a course, so it should be a nice secondary reference. This year, however, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521298644/?tag=pfamazon01-20 by John Lee. It covers approximately the same material as Munkres at about the same level. You might look for some or all of these books in your library to see if one or more of them suits you.

HTH

Petek

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently acquired General Topology by Stephen Willard and really like it. It's a general topology book so you may not find a lot of stuff on covering spaces or classification of surfaces in it (it does have a couple of sections on the fundamental group though, and some intro to covering spaces in the exercises). Anyway it nicely complements Munkres and is pretty cheap so I thought I'd mention it. I haven't read the book by Armstrong so I don't know how this one compares. I would also like to second the recommendation of Introduction to Topological Manifolds. It has most of what you want, and in my opinion it does a slightly better job of preparing you for subsequent algebraic topology courses than Munkres.

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that remain unchanged when they are stretched, bent, or twisted. It is concerned with the study of the spatial relationships and properties of objects and spaces, without considering their specific shapes.

2. Why is topology important for undergraduate students?

Topology is an essential subject for undergraduate students who are interested in furthering their studies in mathematics, physics, or engineering. It provides a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and is applicable in various fields such as data analysis, computer science, and visual arts.

3. What are the recommended textbooks for an undergraduate topology class?

Some popular textbooks for undergraduate topology classes include "Topology" by James R. Munkres, "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, and "Introduction to Topology and Modern Analysis" by George F. Simmons. It is important to consult with the instructor or check the course syllabus for the recommended textbook.

4. Are there any online resources for supplementing the material covered in class?

Yes, there are many online resources available for supplementing the material covered in an undergraduate topology class. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Topology Atlas. It is important to verify the credibility of the source before using it as a reference.

5. What are some tips for studying topology effectively?

Some tips for studying topology effectively include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing regularly with problem sets and exercises, seeking help from the instructor or teaching assistant when needed, and forming study groups with classmates to discuss and review the material. It is also helpful to connect the concepts learned in topology to real-life examples to better understand their applications.