1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need calculus help

1. Sep 24, 2006 #1
    Can anyone help me with this problem,please?

xo=latitude of arctic circle

S(x)={a+barcsin(tanx/tanxo) when 0<x<xo
    24 when xo[less-than equal to]x[less-than equal to]90

Find a and b so that S(x) is continuous.

My work:
    xo= 66(degrees)30' which I think equals 66.30 (correct?)
    arcsin=sin(to the negative 1) (I think?)

And from there I really don't know how to do it or start to do it.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are asking if 66 degrees 30 minutes is 66.30 degrees, the answer is no. Since there are 60 minutes in a degree, 30 minutes is 1/2 degree. 66 degrees, 30 minutes is 66.5 degrees.

Yes, "arcsine" is the inverse sine function- often written sin-1 but there are some of use who prefer the "arcsin" notation since the other is easy to confuse with -1 power.

You should know that the arcsine function is differentiable in the domain give here and, of course, the constant function, y= 24, is differentiable so the only question is differentiability at x= x0. What is the value of a+barcsin(tanx/tanxo) at x= x0? What is the value of 24 at x= x0 (yes, that's a trivial question!). What is the derivative of a+b arcsin(tanx/tanxo)? What is the derivative of 24? What do a and b have to be so that both the values and the derivatives are the same at x= x0?
  4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    Thank you so much... I still do not understand how to get the values of a and b... but if need be I can guess and check values (I'm quite good at it by now.) You helped alot at giving me an idea of what to do and what I should consider.
  5. Sep 25, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, tell us what you have for the derivative of a+barcsin(tanx/tanxo) at x= x0. (Use the chain rule differentiating.) What is the value of a+barcsin(tanx/tanxo) itself when x= x0(that's easy)?
  6. Sep 25, 2006 #5
    Thank you. I think I got it...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?