Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need career advice!

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    I am currently on towards my undergraduate degree in Physics, with a minor in Computer Science.

Besides physics and math, I enjoy working with computers, programming, and using CAS's such as Maple and Matlab.

I am planning to work towards a master's degree in applied sceince but a PhD in Physics is not an option for me so the problem is "what can I do with an undergraduate degree in physics?" (Or what kind of master's program should I consider ?)

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2
    a masters in Computational/Simulations Science is probably your best bet.
    Look to make sure you nearly qualify for a specific dept...with mostlikely a year of undergrad to make the qualificaion.

Talk toe the Grad Advisors about Cross-Departmental research...for example
    UBC and CMU both do cs/math/psych ...some schools also have a math/bio

so what your looking for will mostlikely be a cs/phys/math.
    If you also enjoy playing games-perhaps Game Physics Engines will be your career of choice...then I suggest studying up on SPatial Management(mesh methods, BSPs, Octrees) as well CLASSICAL/ANal Mech.

ANother Alternative is Computational Astrophysics(if you like the pretty pictures)

4. May 19, 2005 #3
    thanks for the advice!

I guess I need to start looking for interdisciplinary programs.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook