1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need career advice!

1. May 18, 2005 #1
    I am currently on towards my undergraduate degree in Physics, with a minor in Computer Science.

Besides physics and math, I enjoy working with computers, programming, and using CAS's such as Maple and Matlab.

I am planning to work towards a master's degree in applied sceince but a PhD in Physics is not an option for me so the problem is "what can I do with an undergraduate degree in physics?" (Or what kind of master's program should I consider ?)

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2005 #2
    a masters in Computational/Simulations Science is probably your best bet.
    Look to make sure you nearly qualify for a specific dept...with mostlikely a year of undergrad to make the qualificaion.

Talk toe the Grad Advisors about Cross-Departmental research...for example
    UBC and CMU both do cs/math/psych ...some schools also have a math/bio

so what your looking for will mostlikely be a cs/phys/math.
    If you also enjoy playing games-perhaps Game Physics Engines will be your career of choice...then I suggest studying up on SPatial Management(mesh methods, BSPs, Octrees) as well CLASSICAL/ANal Mech.

ANother Alternative is Computational Astrophysics(if you like the pretty pictures)

4. May 19, 2005 #3
    thanks for the advice!

I guess I need to start looking for interdisciplinary programs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?