Need Career Help? Get Advice for Your 2-Year Mechanical Engineering Degree

• Thread starter clueless21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a 2 year degree in mechanical engineering and is unsure of what career path to take after graduation. They mention considering a career as a mechanic as a joke and express their need for advice or guidance. The conversation ends with a suggestion to visit the institution's career service and a link for general guidance. The speaker is from the U.S. and is encouraged to explore their options before making a decision.
clueless21
I am in the procees of getting a 2 year degree in mechanical egineering, from there I broke my nose on a brick wall as to where I should turn for career advice and find a career. So far, the only career I could fathom is a over qualified mechanic (actually it was a joke) but I'm lost and I need advice or, at least a clue. Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The institution you are attending should have a careers service, make an appointment with them if you want to make sure you're making the right choice for you as a degree. Which country are you from? There are many options, and don't worry yet! You have plenty of time before graduating, and so have plenty of time to decide what you want to do.

For some general guidance, have a look at:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/cms/ShowPage/Home_page/Options_with_your_subject/Your_degree_in_mechanical_engineering/Your_skills/p!edcegge

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the U.S, so the possibilites are endless. I'll contact the counsler and check my options

What are the career options for a 2-year mechanical engineering degree?

Some common career options for individuals with a 2-year mechanical engineering degree include mechanical engineering technician, CAD technician, quality control technician, and manufacturing technician.

Can I get a job with only a 2-year mechanical engineering degree?

While a 2-year mechanical engineering degree may limit your options compared to a 4-year degree, there are still many job opportunities available. It is important to gain relevant experience, develop strong skills, and network to increase your chances of getting a job.

What skills are necessary for success in a mechanical engineering career?

Some key skills for success in a mechanical engineering career include strong problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, analytical thinking, strong math and science skills, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

What are some resources for finding job opportunities in the mechanical engineering field?

Some resources for finding job opportunities in the mechanical engineering field include job search websites like Indeed or LinkedIn, industry-specific job boards, networking events, and career fairs. It can also be helpful to reach out to alumni or professionals in the field for advice and potential job leads.

How can I advance my career with a 2-year mechanical engineering degree?

There are several ways to advance your career with a 2-year mechanical engineering degree. You can gain relevant experience through internships or entry-level positions, pursue further education and certifications, and continually develop your skills and knowledge through professional development opportunities. Networking and building relationships in the industry can also open doors for career advancement.