1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need clarification again

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    n Fig. 4-33, a stone is projected at a cliff of height h with an initial speed of 40.0 m/s directed at an angle 0 = 56.0° above the horizontal. The stone strikes at A, 5.10 s after launching. Find (a) the height h of the cliff, (b) the speed of the stone just before impact at A, and (c) the maximum height H reached above the ground.

Part c is basically asking for the trajectory, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

In a sense, yes, but only one aspect of it. How would you go about finding the maximum height?

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    To be honest I'm not sure.

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Here's a hint: What's the vertical component of the velocity when the stone reaches its highest point?

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    That's just it, I have no idea what to plug in for determining the velocity at the highest point.

I think that the formula involved would be the vertical motion equation for velocity, Vy = Vi*sin(angle) - gt.

Well actually, if I took half of the time, wouldn't it be at its highest point then?

7. Feb 20, 2006 #6

Doc Al

Think about it. Imagine throwing a ball straight up in the air. Initially it moves up (velocity = +); after reaching the highest point, it starts moving down (velocity = -). So what can you say about the speed at the highest point?

Good.

Only if the initial and final positions were at the same height, which is not true in this problem.

8. Feb 20, 2006 #7
    Well, at the highest point the speed would be zero, since it's going to start falling immediately after hitting the highest point.

9. Feb 20, 2006 #8

Doc Al

Exactly right. Now make use of that fact.

10. Feb 20, 2006 #9
    But now I'm confused as to just where to plugin the zero.

If the formula Vy = Vi*sin(angle) - gt is used, does the zero replace Vy or Vi?

11. Feb 20, 2006 #10

Doc Al

What do you think? (Does the initial velocity change?)

12. Feb 20, 2006 #11
    No, but if I put in zero for Vy, I'm left without any variables.

13. Feb 20, 2006 #12

Doc Al

You can solve for the time; that's what you need.

14. Feb 20, 2006 #13
    Ahhh I got it now, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?