1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Admissions Need college admission advice

  1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    Hi, I'm Mark. Currently I self-study Physics and Mathematics. I have secondary school and GED degree, and I'm not a native English speaker. I'm wondering if I want to apply to college for 2017, what I have to do?

    What test do I need. Who am I suppose to get a recommendation letters from, can I get them from my tutor (then I have to get a tutor first). Are there any colleges that offer 80%+ scholarships for international students?(my finance is utterly bad)

    From what I've known, I need TOEFL, Sat Math2 and Sat Physics(Science) will be required. But is there anything else? Recommendation letter part really concern me. I left school for 3 years (due to financial problem) and now they say I have to get evaluations from my secondary school, and teacher from non-degree course. I do not understand what is non-degree course, does it mean I could get my evaluations from tutor or does it mean only courses via community college? And scholarships part is extremely in my concern, I have very small fund, some of my family members do not support me for this, but some does. I would work 12 hrs a day as a janitor to study in college, so I do not need full scholarships, but I imagine if there are none, my payment as "janitor" would not be enough.

    I do really appreciate if you would recommend any solution for "Test", "Recommendation letters" and "Colleges".
    Love to see any feedback. :-)
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    I can't answer all your questions, but there is little doubt in my mind that you should apply to a 2 year Community College. Many accept international students. Financial Aid is available. Tuition is a fraction of the cost of a private university. With part time work, you should be fine. After 2 years, you can then transfer to a public or private university as a Junior. Many community colleges have partnerships with the 4 year universities that makes the transfer a lot easier. Many accept the GED readily. Search around and good luck.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  4. Mar 8, 2016 #3


    User Avatar

    Staff: Mentor

    Assuming you're applying to colleges and universities in the US, it's up to the individual school what they require. You have to look at their individual web sites. It's not very common for schools to require SAT subject tests (e.g. Math 2 and Physics), unless you're focusing on elite schools. See for example this list.
  5. Mar 8, 2016 #4
    Thank you very much for your answer, but from my information there are no community college in my country. So in this case that you've suggested, I will apply for US community college.
    Yes, I do aim for the best college I could get in. eg. Caltech, MIT, etc. Thanks for suggestion I'll look for any college that offer any scholarships.

    Both of you really do give me a relief, thank you again for these suggestions. I might have to take a look for any scholarships, from what I've known both Caltech and MIT do give somewhat full scholarships as well. But from the lack of my knowledge on 'college names' it will take a while to search for them, but thats going to be a very small concern for me, thanks to you guys.
    (forgot to mention, I'd love to major in Physics or Mathematics)

    The big concern is my recommendations, as I inform, my country does not provide any community college, so it will be impossible to get any recommendations from that, however there're tutors and private classes, will it be possible for me to get my recommendations from them?

    Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions. :-)
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted