1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need confirmation on a problem

1. Feb 12, 2005 #1
    point charges, Q1 (4,0,-3) and Q2 (2,0,1). Q2 = 4 nC, find Q1 such that the a. electric field at (5,0,6) has no z component.
    b. force on a test charge at (5,0,6) has no x component.

heres what i did for a:

i found the distance from Q1 to (5,0,6) to be the square root of 82
    distance from Q2 to (5,0,6) to be square root of 34.

i than found the unit vectors.
    multipled by the charges and set the z components equal.

so i had 9Q1/sqr rt 82 = - 4nc*5/sqr rt 34
    ended up with Q1 = -3.41 nc. answer in the back of the book says -3.463

on the second part i found the two forces using (Q*Qt)/4*pi*Eo*R^2.
    i than multiplied these by the unit vectors in the x direction and set one of them equal to negative the other and solved for Q1. i ended up with an answer of -48nC, the book says -18nC.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are there square roots in the denominators in the first equality.Shouldn't they have disappeared when squared...?

Daniel.

4. Feb 12, 2005 #3
    thats how the unit vector is found. divide the change in x or y or z and than divide by the distance between the two points. distance between the two points is the square root of (x2-x1) + (y2-y1) + (z2-y1)

5. Feb 12, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,but you should have equated "z" components of the fields ALTOGETHER...Does that change anything...?

Daniel.

6. Feb 12, 2005 #5
    so i find electric field due to Q1 and Q2 by using this formula right:
    E = F/Q
    where F = (Q*Qt)/(4*pi*Eo*R^2). i dont see how thats going to work because the Qs are going to cancel.

7. Feb 12, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No,they're not.What's the general expression of an electric field generated by a point charge "q" situated in the origin of a coordinate system,field created at point of position vector [itex] \vec{r} [/itex] ??

Daniel.

8. Feb 12, 2005 #7
    E = (q*Q/4*pi*Eo*R^2)/q Ar
    right?

9. Feb 12, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No.It's more like a vector,of this form
    [tex] \vec{E}=\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}|\vec{r}|^{2}} \frac{\vec{r}}{|\vec{r}|} [/tex]

For your problem,chose a system of coordinates and compute the total field at the point you're interested.Just then,u can set the component of the resulting field equal to zero.

Daniel.

10. Feb 12, 2005 #9
    k, what about the second part? im pretty sure i did that right

11. Feb 12, 2005 #10
    and i tred it the way you told me and i got an answer of -8.3 nC for Q1. not the same as the back of the book.

12. Feb 12, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the second part,you need to have done first part right...Because it uses the charge calculated at point "a"...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?