Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need conversion help

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    Hi newguy here :blushing:
    Heres the problem:

If one fluid ounce treats 2-1/2 gallons, how many ounces (or mililiters) are to be added to a .45 liter tank?

I want to add fuel stabilizer to my weed eater gas tank.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IIRC,"ounce" (avoirdupoids) is a unit for MASS,while "gallon" is for VOLUME/CAPACITY...So u need the density...
    So it's not "OUNCES (or MILLILITERS)",but OUNCES...

P.S.Roughly 1 gallon=~4.54l...In the UK,or 1 gallon=~3.78l in the US.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    I'll take mililiters also. Density? Don't know that. The bottle simply says 1 ounce treats 2-1/2 gallons (U.S.) The tank is .45 liters. Just assume the tank is full of gas. Maybe thats the density.
  5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    0.45 litres is roughly 0.1 gallons (actually 0.099 british gallons or 0.119 US gallons - found this here, not sure which you're using). So if one fluid ounce treats 2.5 gallons and you want to treat 0.1 gallons you'll need 0.1/2.5 = 0.04 fluid ounces, which is little more than one millilitre:
    [tex] \frac{1\mbox{ fl-oz}}{2.5 \mbox{ gal}} = \frac{x \mbox{ fl-oz}}{0.1\mbox{ gal}} \implies x = \frac{1\mbox{ fl-oz}}{2.5 \mbox{ gal}}\times 0.1\mbox{ gal} = 0.04\mbox{ fl-oz}[/tex]
    Hope that helps.
  6. Jan 30, 2005 #5
    Thank you!
  7. Jan 30, 2005 #6
    Google is really very useful for these things. For example, you could type speed of light in furlongs per fortnight, and it will convert it for you.

Just a tip :wink:
  8. Jan 30, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about feet per eternity...?? :confused: Can they do that??? :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?