1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need conversion help

1. Jan 30, 2005 #1
    Hi newguy here :blushing:
    Heres the problem:

If one fluid ounce treats 2-1/2 gallons, how many ounces (or mililiters) are to be added to a .45 liter tank?

I want to add fuel stabilizer to my weed eater gas tank.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IIRC,"ounce" (avoirdupoids) is a unit for MASS,while "gallon" is for VOLUME/CAPACITY...So u need the density...
    So it's not "OUNCES (or MILLILITERS)",but OUNCES...

Daniel.

P.S.Roughly 1 gallon=~4.54l...In the UK,or 1 gallon=~3.78l in the US.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jan 30, 2005 #3
    I'll take mililiters also. Density? Don't know that. The bottle simply says 1 ounce treats 2-1/2 gallons (U.S.) The tank is .45 liters. Just assume the tank is full of gas. Maybe thats the density.

5. Jan 30, 2005 #4
    0.45 litres is roughly 0.1 gallons (actually 0.099 british gallons or 0.119 US gallons - found this here, not sure which you're using). So if one fluid ounce treats 2.5 gallons and you want to treat 0.1 gallons you'll need 0.1/2.5 = 0.04 fluid ounces, which is little more than one millilitre:
    [tex] \frac{1\mbox{ fl-oz}}{2.5 \mbox{ gal}} = \frac{x \mbox{ fl-oz}}{0.1\mbox{ gal}} \implies x = \frac{1\mbox{ fl-oz}}{2.5 \mbox{ gal}}\times 0.1\mbox{ gal} = 0.04\mbox{ fl-oz}[/tex]
    Hope that helps.

6. Jan 30, 2005 #5
    Thank you!

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6
    Google is really very useful for these things. For example, you could type speed of light in furlongs per fortnight, and it will convert it for you.

Just a tip :wink:

8. Jan 30, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about feet per eternity...?? :confused: Can they do that??? :bugeye:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook