Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Dire Inspiration.

1. Jan 23, 2010 #1

majormuss

Gold Member

Hi Guys,
    Of late, it has being an unfortunate new habit of mine at which I keep doubting my own potential. I am still in High School and taking introductory physics. I aspire to major in Physics in the near future. I have never actually been a math type of guy( though I mostly manage above 90's in High School so far, I however failed terribly when I tried AP calculus beginning this semester and eventually had to drop it). I am slowly losing confidence in myself. .SInce I was a kid I have always been fascinated by Science but my Math history is an entirely unsuccessful record in my life. Because of my relative weakness in Math I am suffering a bit with Physics currently; so far only managing mid-70's in Physics. I have read a couple articles online which emphasize hardwork as a better trait than just genius. I also want to believe that my situation currently is not permanent, and that maybe by some chance my brain will develop further and I will become some sort of genius in the future( Don't get me wrong, I am not merely sitting idle and waiting for a change). I do work hard. Well I have always hoped to wake up one day I find myself as a true genius. From scoring 400 in the Math section for the second time in the SAT and having to drop AP Physics and Calculus, I am deeply in need of some encouragement and I hope someone out there can conjure the right word to relinquish me from my insecurities and fears.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2010 #2
    It is, 'specially once you hit all the boring material that makes up the vast quantity of science and math education. Genius is great and all, but it probably won't get you through the grunt work that is yet another homework problem in a topic you think you know. Some of my classmates aren't the brightest bulbs, but they make it just fine through their degrees by putting in tons of hours.

Get over that, fast. It's really not the end of the world. Take it from someone who has always been much stronger at the humanities but chose engineering anyway, you're just not gonna magically wake up one day and know everything. It's just gonna be lots more work and more middling to bad grades and trudging along, but at the end of it you'll be doing something you like.

There's also taking the third route. Go for a soft science like biology or earth science or a social science like psychology or economics, something where there's just not that much math. You may have to get through calculus, but that's about it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook