1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need equation created

1. Sep 22, 2006 #1
    I can't figure this one out. It sounds simple but I can't get anything to work.

If a computer costs 300-399 charge 2.00 handling charge.
    If a computer costs 400-499 charge 2.50 handling charge.
    If a computer costs 500-599 charge 3.00 handling charge.

So for every hundred add $.50.

$1-$100 add .50
    $101-$200 add 1.00
    $201-$299 add 1.50

So part of the equation could be 2.00+.5x this part will work if I can get x to equal 1,2,3.

As you can see I am completely confused on how to do this. Any help will be appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2006 #2
    First of all, you should decide what y and x should be. Y is dependant of what x is. Is y the handling charge or the total price? What will x be in that case?
  4. Sep 22, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The "equation" for this is actually going to be discontinuous. When x goes from 399 to 400, y jumps from 2.00 to 2.50.

These kinds of equations cannot be cast in the form y = ax + b, because of those discontinuities.

The best way to describe this relationship would be to use a piecewise function. Do you know what those are?

- Warren
  5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    I don't know what piecewise functions are. I will look up what they are and see if I can figure it out. Any pointers you could give would be very appreciated.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?