Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Equation/graphing help

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1
    I know next to nothing about this stuff, and have a problem that is due Monday... I have signed up with a tutor, but not able to begin studies until Thursday....
    Anyway, my problem is as follows:

We are to solve for x and y using addition, subtraction and subsitution, and then graphicly, min of three points....

I would be thankful for any help......... Skyie :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Welcome to PF!
    "x" and "y" are some two numbers, right?
    (You don't know at the moment their values)
    So, the first equation says:
    This means, that whatever values "x" and "y" have we have been told that "y" is equally big as 3 times x minus 4 (right?)
    So, whenever we meet "y" (for example in your second equation), we might substitute 3x-4 for "y" (that expression has, by our first equation, the same value as "y")
    Does this help you?
  4. Sep 20, 2004 #3
    Hello I am hoping someone can help. My daughter has an equation she does not understand and I am unable to help her.

-5/8 x 16/21 x (-7/15)

I cannot seem to figure out what the common denominator would be for her to be able to work her way through this

Can anyone help????
  5. Sep 20, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hi, sdmcam :welcome to PF!
    (Just a note: Please don't hijack another person's yhread in the future, post your own :smile:)

Now, as far as I can tell, you've gor an expression here which you want to simplify?
    Is the "x" a multiplication sign?
  6. Sep 20, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, this is not an equation, it is an "expression" (it's not an equation because it's not equal to anything).

Secondly, multiplying fractions, you don't need to find a "common denominator"- that's used in adding or subtracting fractions.

Notice that one fraction has 8 in the denominator and another has 16 in the numerator: 16/8= 2. One fraction has 5 in the numerator and the other has 15 in the denominator: 5/15= 1/3. One fraction has 21 in the denominator and another has 7 in the numerator: 7/21= 1/3. Finally, (-)(-)= +.

This is the same as
    [tex]\frac{2}{(3)(3)}= \frac{2}{9}[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?