1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Equations for Ballistics!

1. Dec 2, 2013 #1
    Hello physics enthusiasts, I was hoping for some insight into ballistics. I've been playing some games (namely Planetside 2) with somewhat realistic bullet physics, and have been trying desperately to find an equation that takes into account distance from target, velocity of target, and velocity of projectile. I've managed to work out how to compensate for gravity, but thats only really useful when the target is stationary. Sadly, players tend to move when being shot at. The nerve. Any equations that I can plug the relevant variables into and come up with a headshot, is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2013 #2
    Welcome to PF

Have you checked out the basics kinematics equations? Link

If you're neglecting air resistance, it doesn't really get much more complicated. Of course you'll need to break the motion into it's components with basic trigonometry.

I realize that you're probably looking for quick equations, so here are the basic ones. Link

If you know calculus, you're much better off working the equations out yourself.

4. Dec 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks! And I try to come up with the equations myself, but I probably need a proper education in trigonometry and calculus. Im only a freshmen in high school. The educational power of Wikipedia and Youtube (sixty symbols, MinutePhysics, and Numberphile are a few of those channels, in case you're interested) eventually falls short of a proper credit's-worth of learning. Anyway, thanks for the equations!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook