Ballistics Equations: Finding the Perfect Shot

• Thread starter KevinDM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ballistics
In summary, the conversation centers around a person seeking help with finding an equation to calculate headshots in a game with realistic bullet physics. Some basic kinematics equations and the use of trigonometry are suggested, with the reminder that calculus would be helpful in working out the equations. The person also mentions their interest in learning through online resources like Wikipedia and YouTube.
KevinDM
Hello physics enthusiasts, I was hoping for some insight into ballistics. I've been playing some games (namely Planetside 2) with somewhat realistic bullet physics, and have been trying desperately to find an equation that takes into account distance from target, velocity of target, and velocity of projectile. I've managed to work out how to compensate for gravity, but that's only really useful when the target is stationary. Sadly, players tend to move when being shot at. The nerve. Any equations that I can plug the relevant variables into and come up with a headshot, is much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF

Have you checked out the basics kinematics equations? Link

If you're neglecting air resistance, it doesn't really get much more complicated. Of course you'll need to break the motion into it's components with basic trigonometry.

I realize that you're probably looking for quick equations, so here are the basic ones. Link

If you know calculus, you're much better off working the equations out yourself.

Thanks! And I try to come up with the equations myself, but I probably need a proper education in trigonometry and calculus. I am only a freshmen in high school. The educational power of Wikipedia and Youtube (sixty symbols, MinutePhysics, and Numberphile are a few of those channels, in case you're interested) eventually falls short of a proper credit's-worth of learning. Anyway, thanks for the equations!

1. What is the definition of ballistics?

Ballistics is the science of mechanics that deals with the motion, behavior, and effects of projectiles, such as bullets, shells, and rockets.

2. Why are equations necessary in ballistics?

Equations are necessary in ballistics because they allow us to calculate and predict the trajectory, velocity, and impact of a projectile based on various factors such as mass, velocity, and air resistance.

3. What are the main variables involved in ballistics equations?

The main variables involved in ballistics equations include the initial velocity of the projectile, the angle at which it is launched, the mass and shape of the projectile, the air resistance, and the gravitational force.

4. How are ballistics equations used in real-world applications?

Ballistics equations are used in various real-world applications, such as military and law enforcement operations, hunting and shooting sports, and even space exploration. They help in designing and testing weapons, calculating the trajectory of missiles and rockets, and predicting the impact of natural disasters such as earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

5. Are there different types of ballistics equations?

Yes, there are different types of ballistics equations depending on the specific application. For example, there are separate equations for calculating the trajectory of a bullet versus a rocket. There are also advanced equations that take into account more variables, such as wind and atmospheric conditions, for more accurate predictions.