Learning General Relativity: Finding Examples with Numbers

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking examples of how to apply the Einstein field equations with actual numerical values. They mention being familiar with general relativity and understanding the symbolic representation, but wanting more concrete examples. The other person suggests looking at the Schwarzschild and FRW solutions, which are non-trivial spacetime solutions that demonstrate the practical application of GR. They also provide links to resources for further understanding and derivation of these solutions.
TimeRip496
I am currently learning general relativity and I kind of understand what the symbols in einstein field equationd represent. But I need example like those that involves actual numerical values. I have been trying to search for it online but I cant. So does anyone mind showing me how you apply einstein field equation using really simple example? Or maybe you can recommend me to any source which contains example with actual numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think numerical values help (how does "0.23" help?), but the easiest non-trivial spacetime is the Schwarzschild solution, this could help to understand how GR leads to something more than mathematics.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravity that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects.

2. Why is it important to learn about general relativity?

Learning about general relativity is important because it is a fundamental theory in modern physics and has been confirmed by numerous experiments. It also helps us understand the behavior of massive objects in the universe, such as planets, stars, and black holes.

3. How can I learn general relativity?

There are several ways to learn general relativity, including reading books and articles, attending lectures or courses, and practicing with examples and calculations. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics.

4. What are some examples of general relativity with numbers?

Examples of general relativity with numbers include calculating the bending of starlight by the Sun's gravity, determining the gravitational time dilation between two objects of different masses, and solving for the event horizon of a black hole.

5. Is it necessary to understand advanced mathematics to learn general relativity?

While a strong understanding of mathematics is beneficial for learning general relativity, it is not necessary to have advanced knowledge. Many concepts can be understood with basic algebra and geometry, and there are resources available for those who want to deepen their mathematical understanding of the theory.