How Does Elevator Cable Tension Compare to Weight During Motion?

• Thread starter bboycs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thanks
In summary, the elevator travels upward at a constant speed while being hung by a single cable, with negligible friction and air resistance. The tension in the cable is greater than the weight of the elevator, and when the elevator is slowing down while moving downward, the tension is less than the weight. When the elevator is not accelerating, the tension is equal to the weight of the elevator.
bboycs
a) An elevator travels upward at a constant speed. The elevator is hung by a single cable. Friction and air resistance are negligible.

ii) Is the tension in the cable greater than, less than, or equal to the weight of the elevator? Explain.
iii) The elevator travels downward and is slowing down. Is the tension in the cable greater than, less than, or equal to the weight of the elevator ? Explain.

ii) If moving upward i know that the tension is greater then W~ but the acceleration is 0...
then is the tension = w~? (Newton's second law state the acceleration depends on net
force )

iii) when the elevator is moving downward with slowing down, that means there consists
deceleration .. so the the tension of cable is less then the w of elevator <<< is answer
like this correct??

Physics news on Phys.org
bboycs said:
iii) when the elevator is moving downward with slowing down, that means there consists
deceleration .. so the the tension of cable is less then the w of elevator <<< is answer
like this correct??

Tension is greater than weight. If the elevator is slowing down, in which direction is it accelerating? In which direction must the net force be so that the elevator accelerates in this direction?

dx said:
Tension is greater than weight. If the elevator is slowing down, in which direction is it accelerating? In which direction must the net force be so that the elevator accelerates in this direction?

i) the accelaration = 0
from equation
T-W = ma
so when a = 0
T-W =0
W = T
the tension not equal to W ??

ii)moving downward...

Moving downward, the net force (sum of all the forces) is still T - W. However, the other side of the equation is not zero any more. Taking up as positive and down as negative is ma (mass times magnitude of acceleration) positive or negative?

kuruman said:
Moving downward, the net force (sum of all the forces) is still T - W. However, the other side of the equation is not zero any more. Taking up as positive and down as negative is ma (mass times magnitude of acceleration) positive or negative?

this is for question (ii)...
so the w is greater then tension??

another one is the question (i)
is the tension = weight of elevator??
due to the acceleration is 0

bboycs said:
this is for question (ii)...
so the w is greater then tension??

Yes. When the acceleration is down, the net force (sum of all the forces) is in the same direction as the acceleration, therefore the weight is greater than the tension.

another one is the question (i)
is the tension = weight of elevator??
due to the acceleration is 0

Yes. When the acceleration is zero, the tension is equal to the hanging weight.

kuruman said:
Yes. When the acceleration is down, the net force (sum of all the forces) is in the same direction as the acceleration, therefore the weight is greater than the tension.

Yes. When the acceleration is zero, the tension is equal to the hanging weight.

thanks for explaning~

1. What does "Need explanation~ thanks~" mean exactly?

The phrase "Need explanation~ thanks~" is a request for further clarification or understanding on a topic or concept. The person asking for an explanation may have encountered something unfamiliar or confusing and is seeking more information.

2. Why is it important to provide an explanation?

Providing an explanation is crucial in promoting understanding and learning. It allows the person to gain a deeper understanding of the topic and can help clear up any confusion or misconceptions.

3. How should I go about giving an explanation?

When giving an explanation, it's important to start with the basics and build upon previous knowledge. Use simple and clear language to avoid confusion and provide examples or visuals if possible. It's also important to be patient and open to questions or further clarification.

4. Can I ask for an explanation more than once?

Yes, you can always ask for an explanation more than once if you are still having trouble understanding. It's important to not be afraid to ask for clarification or more information. It shows a willingness to learn and can help improve your understanding of the topic.

5. How can I improve my own explanations?

To improve your own explanations, make sure to have a thorough understanding of the topic yourself. Use clear and concise language, and try to relate the information to real-life examples or experiences. It's also important to be patient and listen to any questions or concerns the person may have.