Finding a Function of X to Satisfy Certain Conditions

In summary, the conversation was about finding a function that satisfies the following criteria: 0 <= x <= 1, f(0) = 0, and f(1) = infinity. The function should also have a relatively flat curve for lower numbers (up to 0.3) and a sharp curve towards infinity around 0.8. The participants discussed different ways to approach this problem, with one offering a direct solution and the other providing alternative methods. The original poster mentioned that they needed this function for a science fiction game they were developing, specifically for determining energy requirements for sub-light and faster-than-light travel. They also shared their dissatisfaction with the approach used in Star Trek and their own idea for a modified solution.
WhyIsItSo
This should be a dead simple answer, but I don't know what this is called, or what to search on...

I need a function of x such that:

0 <= x <= 1

Where f(0) = 0, and f(1) = infinity.

I also need the curve to be relatively flat for "lower numbers", say up to 0.3, and begin a very sharp curve towards infinity around 0.8 or so.

A direct answer would be fine, but references would be just as welcome; I don't mind reading, just don't know where to point my browser at this point.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, I can make it exactly flat for you all the way up to 0.8:
For x less than 0.8, f(x)=0.
For x equal to or greater than 0.8, we let [tex]f(x)=A\frac{x-0.8}{1-x}[/tex], where A is a humungous number of your choice.

f(x) = 0 if x=0
if 0<x<=1, f(x)=1/(1-x)

f(x) = 0 if 0<=x<=0.3
f(x) = x if 0.3<x<=0.8
f(x) = (10000000000000000000000)!/(1-x) if 0.8<x

uman: your equation looks like a simple way to get what I needed.

arildno: Your example gets me started on ways to shape uman's examples to suit my needs.

Thank you both.

Out of curiosity, what do you need this for?

uman said:
Out of curiosity, what do you need this for?

I am building a MMOG. There are several applications for this equation, but the one in my mind at the time I made this request relates to "speed limits" for space vehicles in the game. While I am seeking a certain realism scientifically speaking, there are many reasons to depart from hard science; this is after all a science fiction product.

So, I wish to address energy requirements in some fashion for sub-light travel, as well as some formula for restricting Faster-Than-Light travel. Star Trek uses a Warp 10 limit as needing infinite energy. Successive Warp speeds are exponentially faster than preceding ones, with energy requirements rapidly climbing towards infinity as Warp 10 is approached.

I like the Star Trek approach, and want to base my "science" on that... but I needed a sharply rising exponent for my formula describing energy requirements from Warp 9 to Warp 10. I was not satisfied with that part in the Star Trek world.

I hope my reply doesn't disappoint you. It is a more or less trivial application

WhyIsItSo said:
So, I wish to address energy requirements in some fashion for sub-light travel, as well as some formula for restricting Faster-Than-Light travel. Star Trek uses a Warp 10 limit as needing infinite energy. Successive Warp speeds are exponentially faster than preceding ones, with energy requirements rapidly climbing towards infinity as Warp 10 is approached.

I worked on precisely the same problem as a freshman in high school. I had on more data point to fit, from some episode that gave the relative speeds of two high 'warp' numbers. Unfortunately my idea of a good model at the time was a modified polynomial fit, which is a bad way to do it.

My recommendation is to set warp 1 to 1, warp 9 to w (which is whatever you need for your gameplay to work), warp x for 1 < x < 9 to [itex]w^{(x-1)/8},[/itex] and warp x for 9 < x < 10 to [itex]w^{(10-x)^{-0.1}}.[/itex] These are all in terms of the speed of light.

Last edited:

What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input (x) corresponds to exactly one output (y). It can be thought of as a machine that takes in an input and produces a unique output.

How do you find a function of x to satisfy certain conditions?

To find a function of x that satisfies certain conditions, you need to first identify the given conditions and any other known information. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques, such as algebraic manipulation or graphing, to determine the function that meets the given criteria.

What are some common conditions that may need to be satisfied when finding a function of x?

Some common conditions that may need to be satisfied when finding a function of x include a specific output value, a specific behavior or pattern, or a set of given points on the graph.

What tools or resources can be helpful when finding a function of x?

Some tools or resources that can be helpful when finding a function of x include graphing calculators, online function solvers, and textbooks with examples and practice problems.

Why is it important to find a function of x to satisfy certain conditions?

Finding a function of x to satisfy certain conditions is important because it allows us to model and understand real-world situations, make predictions, and solve problems in various fields such as science, engineering, economics, and more.