1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need f(x) for

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    This should be a dead simple answer, but I don't know what this is called, or what to search on...

I need a function of x such that:

0 <= x <= 1

Where f(0) = 0, and f(1) = infinity.

I also need the curve to be relatively flat for "lower numbers", say up to 0.3, and begin a very sharp curve towards infinity around 0.8 or so.

A direct answer would be fine, but references would be just as welcome; I don't mind reading, just don't know where to point my browser at this point.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, I can make it exactly flat for you all the way up to 0.8:
    For x less than 0.8, f(x)=0.
    For x equal to or greater than 0.8, we let [tex]f(x)=A\frac{x-0.8}{1-x}[/tex], where A is a humungous number of your choice.

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3
    f(x) = 0 if x=0
    if 0<x<=1, f(x)=1/(1-x)

5. Aug 4, 2008 #4
    f(x) = 0 if 0<=x<=0.3
    f(x) = x if 0.3<x<=0.8
    f(x) = (10000000000000000000000)!/(1-x) if 0.8<x

6. Aug 4, 2008 #5
    uman: your equation looks like a simple way to get what I needed.

arildno: Your example gets me started on ways to shape uman's examples to suit my needs.

Thank you both.

7. Aug 5, 2008 #6
    Out of curiosity, what do you need this for?

8. Aug 7, 2008 #7
    I am building a MMOG. There are several applications for this equation, but the one in my mind at the time I made this request relates to "speed limits" for space vehicles in the game. While I am seeking a certain realism scientifically speaking, there are many reasons to depart from hard science; this is after all a science fiction product.

So, I wish to address energy requirements in some fashion for sub-light travel, as well as some formula for restricting Faster-Than-Light travel. Star Trek uses a Warp 10 limit as needing infinite energy. Successive Warp speeds are exponentially faster than preceding ones, with energy requirements rapidly climbing towards infinity as Warp 10 is approached.

I like the Star Trek approach, and want to base my "science" on that... but I needed a sharply rising exponent for my formula describing energy requirements from Warp 9 to Warp 10. I was not satisfied with that part in the Star Trek world.

I hope my reply doesn't disappoint you. It is a more or less trivial application

9. Aug 8, 2008 #8

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I worked on precisely the same problem as a freshman in high school. I had on more data point to fit, from some episode that gave the relative speeds of two high 'warp' numbers. Unfortunately my idea of a good model at the time was a modified polynomial fit, which is a bad way to do it.

My recommendation is to set warp 1 to 1, warp 9 to w (which is whatever you need for your gameplay to work), warp x for 1 < x < 9 to [itex]w^{(x-1)/8},[/itex] and warp x for 9 < x < 10 to [itex]w^{(10-x)^{-0.1}}.[/itex] These are all in terms of the speed of light.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook