Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need fast hot appetizers ideas

1. Dec 4, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Like most people, when I need a recipe or cooking advice, I head straight to the Physics Forums.

OK, so I'm on the hook for an office pot luck contribution next week. I'm going to make some kind of hot appetizer. My first idea was frozen mini pastry puff appetizers (from Trader Joes) but it seems these are going to take 30 minutes in the oven. I'm looking for something in the 15 minute prep and cook time range.

We have an oven on site, so that helps matters, but there may be a lot of competition for it as several people will be bringing things to heat up.

Any brilliant ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2009 #2
    This one is popular in Holland

pastei_kippenragout.jpg

chicken pasty or vol au vent

4. Dec 4, 2009 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks yummy, Andre, but I think it might take too much time to make. I'm thinking fast and easy like "pigs in a blanket" or something.

5. Dec 4, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I read on some website that someone had used Poptarts for appies for a pot luck. He cut the Poptarts into squares and stuck toothpicks on them and put them on a tray. I thought that was pretty funny. They guy who did it said they were a big hit, too!

6. Dec 4, 2009 #5
    I googled the following:

"15 minutes in the oven" appetizer

Here's one hit:
    Parmesan Garlic Potatoes
    This is another very easy one to make that only takes about 5 minutes to prepare and 10-15 minutes in the oven.

You will need:
    4 Large Baking Potatoes
    Parmesan cheese
    Garlic Powder, Salt, Pepper to taste
    Olive Oil

Directions: Cut potatoes into small wedges or slices and arrange on a foil lined baking sheet. Lightly brush olive oil on potatoes and then sprinkle Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper on the potato wedges. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are done.

Variations: You can add many other seasonings or toppings to these, such as shredded cheese, bacon bits or crumbles, red pepper flakes, seasoned salt, or others.

7. Dec 4, 2009 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a crockpot?

8. Dec 4, 2009 #7
    Iv always been a big fan of those dixie wiener things wrapped in monterrey jack cheese.

9. Dec 4, 2009 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's probably best to stick with the classics:

Spam Tater-Tot Velveeta De-lites

"Served hot or cold, this savory party favorite is sure to be the last snack on the tray!"

Serves 3 - 103

• 1 can SPAM
    • 1 loaf Velveeta
    • 1 bag Tater Tots
    • 1 bunch of decorative Toothpicks

1. Arrange Tater Tots on cookie sheet and bake, as directed on the bag, at 450 for 20 minutes or until crisp, golden-brown, and appealing. (It's probably best to play it safe here and just do them for the 20 minutes.)

0. I forgot to tell you: You've got to pre-heat the oven first.

2. Slice the Spam into thin slices which would be about large enough each to put one Tater Tot on top of, taking into account shrinkage due to frying.

3. Fry the Spam slices until they're resistant, in the Italian phrase, "to the teeth."

4. Slice the Velveeta into thin slices which would be about large enough to secure over a Tater Tot resting on a slice of fried Spam with a decorative toothpick before melting.

5. Arrange the slices of fried Spam on another cookie sheet. On each, place a Tater Tot and then a Velveeta slice, securing the arrangement with a decorative toothpick. Bake at 300 for 10 minutes, or until the Velveeta has melted over the Tater Tots and onto the fried Spam, the cookie sheet, and the oven floor.

6. Garnish with gherkins, capers, carrot curls, celery stalks, cucumber sticks, and radish florets, and enjoy. If you're serving them cold and congealed, try a warm Wesson-and-salt dip.

10. Dec 4, 2009 #9

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

SCALLOPS WRAPPED IN BACON!

10 minutes under the broiler.

Step 1: wrap scallops in bacon

Step 2: Broil for 10 minutes.

eat

11. Dec 4, 2009 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good question, I recently bought an appetizer cookbook with appetizers from different cuisines, but it appears to have vanished from my house.

I do have a yummy recipe for chocolate truffles though. Ingredients: whipping cream, pure chocolate, butter, cacaopowder. Criminal :!!)

12. Dec 4, 2009 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds good. I do almost exactly this recipe but I use califlower instead of potatoes.

Yes, several.

Oh wait, you said crockpot. No, I don't have one of those. Maybe I could borrow one, though.

What's a dixie wiener?

13. Dec 4, 2009 #12

Evo

:tongue2: Do you suggest those little plastic toothpicks for added flavor and texture?

14. Dec 4, 2009 #13

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mmmmm.. my three favorite foods, together at last!

15. Dec 4, 2009 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds really elegant. Almost too good for my ungrateful coworkers who will be bringing Jello salad and Cheez-Whiz with Ritz crackers.

16. Dec 4, 2009 #15

Astronuc

and from last year. :biggrin:

17. Dec 4, 2009 #16

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll PM you my mailing address. o:)

18. Dec 4, 2009 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and from last year!

19. Dec 4, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Split jalapenos, scrape out all veins and seeds if you work with wimps. Stuff with a mix of cream cheese and crumbled crispy bacon, top with shredded Monterey Jack and bake in a preheated oven until the shredded cheese browns. Easy and really tasty.

20. Dec 4, 2009 #19
    One of my favorite quick appetizers is so simple and yummy. Kind of nice with some holiday color too.

Take several small wedges of Brie cheese and put it in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle it with chopped pistachio nuts. Sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes on it. Bake at 450 degrees for 5-8 minutes until cheese begins to melt.
    I cut some dark breads into wedges, fruit like apple wedges or a hard melon work well too.

21. Dec 4, 2009 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ouch...reading that makes my heart hurt....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook