Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need formula re time required to dissolve gas into liquid

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    Hello; I'm new here and this is my first post. I think I've done all that I can do before posting this: I've spend a lot of time searching for the answer myself through Google; I've read all of the sticky posts here; and then I did a search of your post archives but couldn't find an answer.

I'm looking for a formula (or graphs or charts) to permit me to predict how much gas will dissolve into a soluable liquid based on the following variables:
    1. Time
    2. Pressure
    3. Partial Pressure
    4. Volume of Liquid (and of gas, if necessary)
    5. Surface Area of liquid exposed to pressurized gas
    6. Specific Gravity (if that makes a difference)

Now, my specific concern is to determine how long to apply pressurized CO2 to 'force-carbonate' beer in a brewpub or microbrewery we are considering. I have charts which tell me, for example, that to reach my target carbonation level of 2.5 volumes (atmospheres) of CO2 at 32F, then I need 8.2 psi pressure, but they don't explain how long it will take. I know that carbonation will occur quicker with increased pressure, and that surface area where gas and liquid are in contact is a factor, too. I would like a formula that could tell me, for instance, how long it would take to reach 2.5 volumes if I apply 30 psi at 32degreesF in a 10 barrel tank (310 gallons) with a surface area of 1,018 square inches.

Thanks for any help.

Bill Velek
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted