1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Formula

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    Question - Two protons, seperated by a large distance, are fired directly at each other. The closest approach in this head-on collision is 3.0 x 10^14 m. One proton starts with two times the speed of the other. Assuming there is no delection from the original path, determine the initial speed of each proton.

Solution - I read through my notes and text book but I couldnt find any way to connect speed with this question. Is there any specific equations to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Conservation of energy.

the total energy is [tex] {1 \over 2} m_1 v_1^2 + {1 \over 2} m_2 v_2^2 - {k q_1 q_2 \over r} [/tex] and it is conserved.

4. Nov 19, 2006 #3
    So, since I don't know what the mass is or the speed, would I split the question up into two parts, the first being at collision so I can solve for mass since speed is zero. Then I can use the law of conservation of energy to find velocity at start?

5. Nov 19, 2006 #4
    Actually, how would I solve that if there is 3 unknowns: mass, velocity, and charge?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?