Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need formula

1. Aug 5, 2007 #1
    ...to be used in a spreadsheet that drives Solidworks 3d tube models. Here is a picture of my problem: http://home.comcast.net/~dennisrankin/OffsetTube.jpg

What I have is:
    OFFSET distance
    RADIUS
    ANGLE

I need to solve for LEG 2. LEG 1 and LEG 3 are paralell. Both Radii are the same. As you can see, Solidworks will solve it for me for an individual tube. I would need to open every instance of the tube in order for Solidworks to solve them all. I would rather have Excel do the numbers and drive the model.

I should know this stuff. :redface:

This is work related. I appreciate the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you should know this stuff, you took trigonometry didn't you?

You are told that the "angle of elevation" of LEG 2 is 30 degrees. You should know that OFFSET/LEG 2= "opposite side"/"hypotenuse"= sin(30).

Then OFFSET= LEG 2 sin(30) so LEG 2= OFFSET/sin(30).

4. Aug 5, 2007 #3
    Thanks. I never took geometry, trig, calc, and I've forgotten most of my basic algebra. I'm a freak considering my career position. I rely on reference material, software and engineers I work with. Liken it to athletes that graduate high school, can't even read and get a full ride through college! If I ever get time to do it, I'm going back to school if only to get my mathmatics up to par.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?