Free Computers for Leukemia Patients in Need - Nationwide Donation Opportunity

• Thread starter pmb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, Pete is seeking advice on finding laptops to donate to leukemia patients at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. He mentions that he will be working with the "Friends of Dana Farber" and asks for any advice on how to acquire laptops for this cause. Another individual shares their experience with community service by building computers for the disabled and suggests contacting local companies for donations or looking into computer recycling groups. Pete acknowledges that desktops may be easier to come by, but they are not practical for hospital use and laptops would be more suitable.
pmb
If anyone knows of some place that gives away computers for free on a nationwide basis, i.e. not restricted to people in a given state (or only to Mass residents) please let me know. I'm trying to get laptops for Leukemia patients who are in for extended hospital stays. They will be going to Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. I think the "Friends of Dana Farber" will be working with me on this so I suppose the computers will be donated to them and then they will get them to the patients.

Please help me find some. It's a very worthy cause. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
I used to do community service hours by building computers for the disabled. Comapanies and people donated their old machines and I basically took the good components and built a functional computer with software preloaded. Unfortuenetly, I don't think the group I worked for can ship to other states. It was really a small operation in a storage facility.

My advice is to contact local companies and ask for their old computers. The benifit for them is that they get a tax break. You could also look up some computer recycling groups. I know there is a big group in California.

Laptops are a bit hard to get, especially functional ones. Your most likely to get desktops, unless your lucky.

Originally posted by dduardo

Laptops are a bit hard to get, especially functional ones. Your most likely to get desktops, unless your lucky.

Thank you for your response.

I'm aware that desktops are pretty easy to get. However it is quite impractical to use those from a hospital bed. Especially since they'd have to be move from room to room quite often.

Pete

What is the purpose of the "Free Computers for Leukemia Patients in Need - Nationwide Donation Opportunity" program?

The purpose of this program is to provide free computers to leukemia patients in need across the nation. This allows patients to stay connected with loved ones, access important health information, and continue their education or work while undergoing treatment.

Who is eligible to receive a free computer through this program?

Leukemia patients who are currently undergoing treatment and are in financial need are eligible to receive a free computer through this program. They must provide proof of their diagnosis and financial need in order to qualify.

How can I donate a computer to this program?

If you would like to donate a computer to this program, you can visit our website and fill out a donation form. We accept both new and used computers, as long as they are in good working condition. You can also make a monetary donation to help cover the cost of purchasing computers for patients in need.

What types of computers are donated through this program?

We accept both desktop and laptop computers, as well as tablets. All donated computers must meet a minimum set of specifications in order to ensure they are able to run necessary programs and applications. These specifications can be found on our website.

How can I apply to receive a free computer through this program?

Leukemia patients in need can apply to receive a free computer through this program by filling out an application on our website. They must provide proof of their diagnosis and financial need in order to be considered for a computer donation. Our team will review applications and select recipients based on available resources and individual circumstances.