1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Need guidance from someone who has knowledge about spectroscopy to find chemical composition

1. Apr 5, 2017 #1
    hi friends,
    I am new to this forum and to this domain as well,i am basically a networking/IT guy, i am looking to do some
    project which is involving spectroscopy to find chemical composition in different elements.

As i am new to this domain,i dont know how i can find a friend/guide probably some one with good knowledge in physics to guide me or just to get a few words of positive advice from him.

if any one is interested to help me kindly let me know here,all i want is talk to someone and want to be inspired.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2017 #2
    There are different fields of spectroscopy and different people tend to have different areas of specialty. FTIR is different from mass spec is different from spectrophotometer is different from laser spectroscopy. Different kinds of chromatography are a different deal altogether as is NMR.

You might get better input if you provide a better definition of what you are trying to accomplish and what kind of spectroscopy you have in mind.

4. Apr 5, 2017 #3
    .I am looking to analyse
    The chemical composition of various food items to be precise.any more useful tips about how I can start or how I can find anyone who can help ?

user_online.gif report.gif

5. Apr 6, 2017 #4
    Is this a project you were assigned by someone or a personal project? You will have to use different types of spectroscopy to characterize food composition depending on the item you are studying. Here is a link I found with a quick Google search ("spectroscopy food composition):

https://oceanoptics.com/spectroscopy-for-food-analysis/

That just tells you some types of spectroscopy that are used for looking at food composition. Do you have the tools to perform any of these techniques? Doing an experiment is one thing and learning how to read the data is another. What is your scientific background?

6. Apr 7, 2017 #5
    You can both use NMR or FTIR to get a fingerprint of a food product. Using reference food products with known compositions, you can determine the compositions of unknown samples. Because of the constraints on your food product, you can set up the algorithm that matches the rich fingerprint you get from NMR or FTIR, and link it in a quite exact manner to the actual composition.

If you want to use just one compound really accurately, you use HPLC.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted