Need help analyzing the failure of a rotating disk

In summary, the conversation is about a project for a materials class analyzing a failed spacer in a jet engine. The spacer failed due to rubbing with the vane case, eventually leading to a crack and detachment of a section. The focus is on proving the failure mechanism, using equations for maximum stresses. A PowerPoint presentation was found for reference, but the person is seeking additional material to explain the equations to their professor.
rafi1800

Homework Statement

hi,
i'm working on a project for a materials class. we chose to analyze a spacer in a jet engine that catastrophically failed. The spacer failed initially due to rubbing between it and a vane case on the outer most radius of the spacer. We're not analyzing the vane case, so we are focusing on just the spacer. We know that after a lot of rubbing the spacer eventually wore down a bit. After a critical amount of rubbing a crack must have formed somewhere on the rim of the spacer and propagated inward to the smallest radius. At this point the section between the cracks detached. This is how the spacer failed leading to engine failure.

Our problem is that we need to prove this. For simplicity we're only analyzing the spacer as if it failed due to over rotation. We don't have any mathematical support for this...

i found this power point http://www.utm.edu/departments/engin/lemaster/Machine%20Design/Lecture%2016.pdf on another post in this forum

Homework Equations

need them...

The Attempt at a Solution

find [tex]\sigma_{r}[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_{\Theta}[/tex] max ... but i can't even begin to explain to my prof where these equations came from

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
. Is there a material/text book/paper that he can look at to see where i got these equations from? Thank you for your help

it is important to approach any problem or analysis with a systematic and logical approach. In this case, the failure of the rotating disk can be analyzed using the principles of mechanics and materials science. First, it is important to understand the loading conditions that the spacer was subjected to, such as the rotational speed, the applied forces, and the contact forces between the spacer and the vane case. This information can be obtained from the engine specifications or through experimental testing.

Next, the mechanical properties of the spacer material should be determined. This includes its strength, ductility, and fatigue resistance. This information can be obtained from material testing or from literature sources.

Once the loading conditions and material properties are known, the failure of the spacer can be analyzed using mathematical equations and principles such as stress analysis, fracture mechanics, and fatigue analysis. These equations can help determine the stresses and strains experienced by the spacer and whether they were sufficient to cause failure.

It is also important to consider any potential defects or imperfections in the spacer that may have contributed to its failure. This can be done through non-destructive testing techniques or by examining the failed spacer itself.

In conclusion, the failure of the rotating disk can be analyzed by considering the loading conditions, material properties, and using appropriate mathematical equations and principles. It is important to gather all relevant information and data in order to provide a thorough and scientifically supported analysis of the failure.

1. What could be the possible causes of the rotating disk failure?

The failure of a rotating disk can be caused by a variety of factors such as material defects, overload, fatigue, corrosion, or improper installation and maintenance.

2. How can I analyze the failure of a rotating disk?

To analyze the failure of a rotating disk, you can conduct a visual examination, perform non-destructive testing, analyze the material properties, and use mathematical calculations and simulations to determine the root cause of the failure.

3. Can I prevent the failure of a rotating disk?

While it is difficult to completely prevent the failure of a rotating disk, there are measures that can be taken to minimize the risk. These include regular maintenance, proper installation and alignment, and using high-quality materials with suitable strength and durability.

4. How can I determine the remaining useful life of a rotating disk?

The remaining useful life of a rotating disk can be estimated by conducting a thorough inspection and evaluating the current condition of the disk. This can be further supported by analyzing the loading and usage patterns, as well as the material properties and potential degradation mechanisms.

5. Can the failure of a rotating disk be predicted?

In some cases, the failure of a rotating disk can be predicted by using predictive maintenance techniques such as vibration analysis, thermal imaging, and oil analysis. However, it is not always possible to predict failures with 100% accuracy, so it is important to regularly monitor and maintain the disk to minimize the risk of unexpected failures.