1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help answering problems related to Buoyance/Buoyance Force

1. Jul 10, 2003 #1

Sam

I have two homework problems that I am unable to answer related to buoyancy/force. Please help! Thanks!

1. How much force (in Newtons) does it take to hold a 100kg man completely under water in the ocean? His density is 903 kg/m^3, and the specific gravity of sea water is 1.07.

They give the following hint: Buoyant force is greater than the weight: B.F. = Weight + Force Down

2. What is the buoyant force in N on a 6.6 m^3 helium balloon in air at standard conditions? The density of air is 1.3 kg/m^3

They give the following hint: According to Archimedes you only need to know the weight of the air displaced.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2003 #2
    Sam,
    what have you got so far and where are you stuck? If you haven't started yet, then I think Archimedes' law is a good starting point.

4. Jul 10, 2003 #3

Sam

Here's what I have so far...

I have the following, but I know my answer isn't correct because it's an online course and will let you know when you are correct:

Let:

Mm = mass of man in kg (given at 100 kg)
    Vm = volume displaced by man in m^3 = Mm/Dm
    Sg = specific gravity of seawater (given at 1.07)
    Dw = Density of pure water 1 gm/cm^3 = 1000kg/m^3
    Ds = Density of seawater
    Fb = Buoyancy force
    g = acceleration of gravity in m/s^2 = (9.8 m/s^2)

Here's how I tried to solve:

Fb = Vm*Dw*g
    = (Mm/Dm)*Sg*Dw*g
    = (100 kg/903kg/m^3)*1.07*(1000kg/m^3)*9.8m/s^2 N

Ok, so the buoyant force exceeds his weight. To keep him submerged you'd have to push him down with the difference force F=1161 - 980 or about 181 N.

What did I do wrong?

5. Jul 10, 2003 #4
    Re: Here's what I have so far...

Hmmm... looks OK to me. With the following changes, which don't change the result:

Fb = Vm*Sg*Dw*g
    = (Mm/Dm)*Sg*Dw*g
    = (100 kg/903kg/m^3)*1.07*(1000kg/m^3)*9.8m/s^2 no N

Since they say B.F. = Weight + Force Down, maybe they expect the answer to have a minus sign. Suggest you try that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?