1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help badly

1. Apr 25, 2005 #1
    Here's the problem:

The density of water at 4oC is 1.00x103kg/m3. What is the change in density if the water is heated to 85oC? Remember that the change will be the final density minus the initial density. Assume a coefficient of volume expansion of 2.10x10-6/oC.

Now, I have tried using a standard mass of 1000KG and solving the problem that way, however I am way off... please help
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

By definition:
    {Coefficient of Volume Thermal Expansion} = α = (-1/ρ)(Δρ/ΔT)
    ::: ⇒ Δρ = -αρΔT
    Use values given in problem statement for terms on the right to calculate "Δρ".

4. Apr 25, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Calculate the volume expansion assuming an initial volume V_0. Add that to the initial volume to find a final volume. Multiply the initial density times V_0 to get an initial mass expressed in terms of V_0. Divide that mass by the new volume. The V_0 factors will all divide out. It will work.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?