Need help balancing Redox Reaction

In summary: It's better to have an even number of Ag+ for Ag2S.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of balancing a redox reaction using either the redox number method or the half equation method. The original equation provided cannot be balanced as entered and needs to have water added to the products. The conversation also addresses the importance of having an even number of Ag+ for Ag2S and the need to modify all coefficients at the same time when balancing a redox equation. It is also mentioned that it is better to have an even number of Ag+ for Ag2S in order to make more chemical sense.
Gorby

Homework Statement

Can somebody help me balance this redox reaction using either the redox number method or the half equation method? Thank You

Na2S + Ag + HNO3 + Na2CrO4 ----> Ag2S + Cr(NO3)3 + NaNO3

Can you please explain your steps.

Thank You

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using both methods, but I find that I have to add AgNO3 as a product to the right side. I've been told that I cannot do this, can someone explain why?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can't be balanced as entered, as there is no hydrogen on the right, you need to add water to products.

There is no need for AgNO3 on the RHS.

Have you recognized what is being oxidized and what is being reduced?

Chemically it doesn't make sense to me - sulfide is a reducing agent, nitric acid is an oxidizing agent, I don't see why they are just spectators.

Borek said:
It can't be balanced as entered, as there is no hydrogen on the right, you need to add water to products.

There is no need for AgNO3 on the RHS.

Have you recognized what is being oxidized and what is being reduced?

Chemically it doesn't make sense to me - sulfide is a reducing agent, nitric acid is an oxidizing agent, I don't see why they are just spectators.

Yes, our instructor taught us to add in water as a product while doing the solution.

This is what I get for my balanced net ionic equation, but I do not know what to do from there. Can someone help me put this back into the original equation:

8 H+ + CrO42- + 3 Ag ---> 3 Ag+ + Cr3+ + 4 H2O

I was told that I had to double the above, for the original equation to balance. I do not know why, and I am not sure how to do it either.

Gorby said:
8 H+ + CrO42- + 3 Ag ---> 3 Ag+ + Cr3+ + 4 H2O

Thats OK.

I was told that I had to double the above, for the original equation to balance. I do not know why, and I am not sure how to do it either.

You need an even number of Ag+ for Ag2S.

Simply multiply all coefficients by 2, add on the left enough S2- to convert all Ag+ on RHS to Ag2S, see how many Na+ you are missing and so on. One thing you can't do - you can't modify coefficients of the above redox equation separately, if you need to modify them, you have to modify all at the same time (this way redox skeleton stays always balanced).

Borek said:
Thats OK.
You need an even number of Ag+ for Ag2S.

Simply multiply all coefficients by 2, add on the left enough S2- to convert all Ag+ on RHS to Ag2S, see how many Na+ you are missing and so on. One thing you can't do - you can't modify coefficients of the above redox equation separately, if you need to modify them, you have to modify all at the same time (this way redox skeleton stays always balanced).

I see, that makes sense. I am wondering why it is not ok to have 3 Ag on the left side and then have Ag2S along with an Ag+ ion by itself on the right side; so that there are 3 Ag on both sides.

It wouldn't be completely incorrect, just doesn't make much chemical sense.

What is a redox reaction?

A redox reaction is a chemical reaction in which there is a transfer of electrons between two species. One species loses electrons (oxidation) while the other gains electrons (reduction).

Why is balancing a redox reaction important?

Balancing a redox reaction is important because it ensures that the number of electrons lost in the oxidation process is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction process. This maintains the overall charge balance in the reaction and allows for accurate predictions of the reactants and products.

How do I balance a redox reaction?

To balance a redox reaction, you need to first identify the species being oxidized and reduced. Then, balance the elements other than oxygen and hydrogen. Next, balance the oxygen atoms by adding water molecules. Finally, balance the hydrogen atoms by adding hydrogen ions. Remember to check the overall charge and make any adjustments if necessary.

What is the half-reaction method for balancing a redox reaction?

The half-reaction method is a technique used to balance redox reactions by breaking the reaction into two half-reactions: the oxidation half-reaction and the reduction half-reaction. The half-reactions are balanced separately and then combined to give the balanced overall reaction.

Are there any tricks to balancing redox reactions?

There are a few tricks that can make balancing redox reactions easier. These include using the oxidation numbers method, using the half-reaction method, and breaking the reaction into smaller steps. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with common redox reactions and their balanced equations.