1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help balancing this

1. Sep 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Balance the net ionic equation:

Acidic: MnO4-(aq) + HSO3-(aq) =

3. The attempt at a solution

I honestly don't know where to start, and I cant find anything similar in the book. I just need a push in the right direction

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2009 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That appears to be either an oxidizing agent with a reducing agent; or maybe but not likely, a weak acid and the anion of another weak acid for some neutralization. What are you really hoping to try?

4. Sep 24, 2009 #3
    It's redox. I just don't know how to find the products

5. Sep 24, 2009 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You could choose the best half-cell reactions by inspecting a table of redox potentials. I believe you only are concerned with the Mn part going to MnO or MnO2. For the bisulfite, you'll need to choose from various half-reactions balancing each of them with the reactants which you were given and find which one or which ones give favorable redox potentials in the balanced equation. Also helpful would be to know what kind of conditions your reaction would be occurring.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook