1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help before 11pm

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    Look I really need someone's help, I spent over 3 hours on this problem and can't figure it out. If anyone could tell me what to do (try being specific), I'd appreciate.

A 20kg wood ball hangs from a 2.0m longwire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 400N. A 1.0 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball. What is the largest speed this projectile can have without causing the cable to break?

Please anyone, I really need to get this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use conservation of momentum to determine what speed the ball will have when it is struck by the projectile. Use the equation for centripetal force to determine the tension in the wire. You should be able to go from there.

4. Nov 22, 2004 #3
    Actually, I really can't figure it out, I read what you said, but nothing adds up.

5. Nov 22, 2004 #4
    I got it, OMG I got it, thank you sooooo much. God why didn't i think of that. Thx very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?