Maximum Projectile Speed for Safe Hanging: 20kg Wood Ball and 2m Long Wire

• Thread starter darkdryad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves someone asking for help with a physics problem involving a hanging wood ball and a projectile. They are instructed to use conservation of momentum and the equation for centripetal force to find the tension in the wire and determine the maximum speed the projectile can have without breaking the wire. Eventually, the person is able to figure out the problem and expresses gratitude for the help.
darkdryad
Look I really need someone's help, I spent over 3 hours on this problem and can't figure it out. If anyone could tell me what to do (try being specific), I'd appreciate.

A 20kg wood ball hangs from a 2.0m longwire. The maximum tension the wire can withstand without breaking is 400N. A 1.0 kg projectile traveling horizontally hits and embeds itself in the wood ball. What is the largest speed this projectile can have without causing the cable to break?

Please anyone, I really need to get this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use conservation of momentum to determine what speed the ball will have when it is struck by the projectile. Use the equation for centripetal force to determine the tension in the wire. You should be able to go from there.

Actually, I really can't figure it out, I read what you said, but nothing adds up.

I got it, OMG I got it, thank you sooooo much. God why didn't i think of that. Thx very much.

1. What type of help do you need before 11pm?

I am in need of assistance with a project or task that needs to be completed before 11pm.

2. Why do you need help before 11pm?

I have a deadline or time constraint that requires me to finish my work before 11pm.

3. Can you provide more details about the help you need before 11pm?

I need someone to help me with a specific aspect of my project or to provide feedback and guidance before 11pm.

4. Is the help needed before 11pm urgent?

Yes, it is urgent as I need to complete my task or project before the deadline of 11pm.

5. How can I help you before 11pm?

You can assist me by providing your expertise or support to help me complete my work before 11pm.