1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help before I attend college, help please.

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    Hi,

It has been 2 and a half years since I touched a college-level book and that was due to certain circumstances. However, In October/2016 I am starting my Electrical Engineering program and honestly I have no clue where to start now.

To get a good refreshment for my brain regarding the Math, I have just bought "Pre-Calculus Demystified 2nd edition" By Rhonda Huettenmueller. And where I live now there is a course for Mathematics called "The Bridge course" which is offered by a union of Technical universities among Germany. So pretty much the Math issue is no longer an issue for me as I will get over it pretty soon.

The university also recommends some programming experience although it is not a must, for that matter I got the book "Python Programming: An introduction to Computer Science 2nd edition by John Zelle".

So I could manage it with Math and Intro-Programming but I am clueless about what to do with Physics !

I have almost a year before enrolling and want to fix my Physics-Situation as much and as soon as possible.

Could you please advise and recommend a book taking my Physics-zero skills into consideration ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2015 #2
  4. Dec 6, 2015 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you need physics skills at the moment? When you take the first series in college it is assumed most students have never taken a physics class before.

There's nothing wrong with studying up on it before hand, I just don't see it as a "situation that needs fixing" as you put it.

A good intro book is Physics by H&K. Generally clear, and not too much calculus right away since you're still dealing with pre-calculus. You might even want to use an algebra based book instead.

5. Dec 6, 2015 #4
    That really depends on where one is. There are a number of calc based physics courses out there where one will be at a significant disadvantage without having had high school physics or the equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook