How Can I Prepare for Physics Before Starting My Electrical Engineering Program?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Donello
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: One option might be to take a course like Intro to Physics from OpenCourseWare.org. This is a derivative of a course offered at MIT and is a well-respected course. There are also many free online courses available that can be started right away.
Donello
Hi,

It has been 2 and a half years since I touched a college-level book and that was due to certain circumstances. However, In October/2016 I am starting my Electrical Engineering program and honestly I have no clue where to start now.

To get a good refreshment for my brain regarding the Math, I have just bought "Pre-Calculus Demystified 2nd edition" By Rhonda Huettenmueller. And where I live now there is a course for Mathematics called "The Bridge course" which is offered by a union of Technical universities among Germany. So pretty much the Math issue is no longer an issue for me as I will get over it pretty soon.

The university also recommends some programming experience although it is not a must, for that matter I got the book "Python Programming: An introduction to Computer Science 2nd edition by John Zelle".

So I could manage it with Math and Intro-Programming but I am clueless about what to do with Physics !

I have almost a year before enrolling and want to fix my Physics-Situation as much and as soon as possible.

Could you please advise and recommend a book taking my Physics-zero skills into consideration ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Donello said:
Hi,

It has been 2 and a half years since I touched a college-level book and that was due to certain circumstances. However, In October/2016 I am starting my Electrical Engineering program and honestly I have no clue where to start now.

To get a good refreshment for my brain regarding the Math, I have just bought "Pre-Calculus Demystified 2nd edition" By Rhonda Huettenmueller. And where I live now there is a course for Mathematics called "The Bridge course" which is offered by a union of Technical universities among Germany. So pretty much the Math issue is no longer an issue for me as I will get over it pretty soon.

The university also recommends some programming experience although it is not a must, for that matter I got the book "Python Programming: An introduction to Computer Science 2nd edition by John Zelle".

So I could manage it with Math and Intro-Programming but I am clueless about what to do with Physics !

I have almost a year before enrolling and want to fix my Physics-Situation as much and as soon as possible.

Could you please advise and recommend a book taking my Physics-zero skills into consideration ?

Why do you need physics skills at the moment? When you take the first series in college it is assumed most students have never taken a physics class before.

There's nothing wrong with studying up on it before hand, I just don't see it as a "situation that needs fixing" as you put it.

A good intro book is Physics by H&K. Generally clear, and not too much calculus right away since you're still dealing with pre-calculus. You might even want to use an algebra based book instead.

Student100 said:
Why do you need physics skills at the moment? When you take the first series in college it is assumed most students have never taken a physics class before.

That really depends on where one is. There are a number of calc based physics courses out there where one will be at a significant disadvantage without having had high school physics or the equivalent.

1. What should I do to prepare for college?

There are several things you can do to prepare for college. First, make sure you have a clear understanding of your academic strengths and weaknesses. This will help you choose the right classes and programs. Second, start researching colleges and universities that align with your interests and goals. Third, work on developing good study habits and time management skills. Finally, consider reaching out to current college students or alumni for advice and tips.

2. How do I choose the right college for me?

Choosing the right college can be overwhelming, but there are several factors you can consider. Think about the size and location of the college, the programs and majors they offer, the campus culture and atmosphere, and the cost and financial aid options. It's also important to visit the campus and talk to current students to get a better feel for the college.

3. How can I improve my chances of getting into my dream college?

To improve your chances of getting into your dream college, focus on maintaining a strong academic record, participating in extracurricular activities and leadership roles, and writing a compelling personal statement. It's also important to submit your application early and make sure all materials are complete and error-free.

4. How can I manage the workload and stress of college?

College can be challenging, but there are several ways to manage the workload and stress. First, make sure you have a good support system in place, including friends, family, and campus resources like counseling services. Second, prioritize your tasks and manage your time effectively. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed and take breaks to prevent burnout. Finally, make sure you're taking care of your physical and mental health through proper nutrition, exercise, and self-care.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in college?

There are many resources available to help you succeed in college. Most colleges have a variety of academic support services, such as tutoring, study groups, and writing centers. You can also reach out to your professors and advisors for guidance and support. Additionally, many colleges offer career services to help you explore your interests and goals and prepare for the workforce after graduation.