How Do I Calculate Frequency with Planck's Equation?

• Thread starter middleearth77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the frequency of energy in hertz using the equation E=hv and the given values of energy (3.5 x 10^-14 joules) and Planck's constant (6.63 x 10^-34 joule-seconds). The person is seeking help in setting up the problem and mentions that it may be a homework problem.
middleearth77
Read my Journal nd hlp. calculating frequency

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a problem that states as follows:

Calculate the frequency (in Hz) of energy of 3.5 x 10^-14 joules. (c=3.00 x 10^8 m/s; h=6.63 x 10^-34 joule-seconds)

I need help in setting this problem up. I found the equation E=hv, where E= the increase of energy, h= Planck's constant, and v= the freqency of light which increases propportionally with an increase in energy.

I am going crazy and just don't get it...

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] E = h\nu \Rightarrow \nu = \frac{E}{h} [/tex]

[tex] E = 3.5 \times 10^{-14} J, h = 6.63 \times 10^{-34} J\cdot s[/tex]

Problem?

Welcome to Physics Forums, middleearth77!

This sounds like a homework problem, so I'm moving it to the appropriate section.

1. How do I calculate frequency?

Frequency is calculated by dividing the number of times an event occurs by the total number of observations. For example, if you flip a coin 100 times and get 50 heads and 50 tails, the frequency of heads would be 50/100 or 0.5.

2. What is the formula for calculating frequency?

The formula for calculating frequency is: frequency = number of occurrences / total number of observations. This can also be written as f = n/N, where f is the frequency, n is the number of occurrences, and N is the total number of observations.

3. How do I find the frequency of a specific event?

To find the frequency of a specific event, you first need to count the number of times that event occurs in your data. Then, divide that number by the total number of observations to get the frequency.

4. Can frequency be expressed as a percentage?

Yes, frequency can be expressed as a percentage by multiplying the result by 100. For example, if the frequency of an event is 0.25, that would be equivalent to 25%.

5. Why is calculating frequency important in scientific research?

Calculating frequency is important in scientific research because it allows us to understand how often a certain event or phenomenon occurs in a given sample or population. This information can be used to make predictions, identify patterns, and draw conclusions about the data.