Need help checking integration answers

In summary, we discussed methods for integration using partial fractions and solved three specific problems using these methods. We also corrected some errors in the original solutions provided.
shan
I just want someone to check since I only learned this 'Integration using partial fractions' method today and I'm not sure I got it right...

First question:
[tex]\int \frac {dx}{x^2-a^2}[/tex] = [tex]\int \frac {dx}{(x+a)(x-a)}[/tex]

let [tex] \frac {1}{(x+a)(x-a)} \equiv \frac {A}{x+a} + \frac {B}{x-a}[/tex]

[tex]\equiv \frac {A(x-a)+B(x+a)}{(x+a)(x-a)}[/tex]

so [tex] 1 \equiv (A+B)x+a(-A+B)[/tex]

equate coefficients to find:
[tex]B=\frac{1}{2a}[/tex] and [tex]A=\frac{-1}{2a}[/tex]

substituting A and B back:
[tex]\int \frac {dx}{(x+a)(x-a)}[/tex] = -[tex]\int \frac {x+a}{2a} dx + \int \frac {x-a}{2a} dx[/tex]

I took the 1/2a out and integrated and got:
[tex]\frac {-1}{2a} \frac {x^2}{2} + ax + \frac {1}{2a} \frac {x^2}{2} - ax + c[/tex]

which simplifies to c :bugeye: which looks extremely strange to me...

Second question:
[tex]\int \frac {dx}{16x^4-1} = \int \frac {dx}{(4x^2+1)(2x+1)(2x-1)}[/tex]

let [tex]\frac {1}{16x^4-1} \equiv \frac {Ax+B}{4x^2+1} + \frac {C}{2x+1} + \frac {D}{2x-1}[/tex]

[tex]\equiv \frac {(Ax+B)(4x^2-1)+C(2x-1)(4x^2+1)+D(2x+1)(4x^2+1)}{16x^4-1}[/tex]

[tex]1 \equiv x^3(4A+8C+8D)+x^2(4B-4C+4D)+x(-A+2C+2D)+D-C-B[/tex]

equating coffecients to get:
4A+8C+8D=0
4B-4C+4D=0
-A+2C+2D=0
D-C-B=1

I then found:
A=0, B=-1/2, C=-1/4 and D=1/4

substituting back into the integral:
[tex]\int \frac {dx}{16x^4-1} = \frac {-1}{2} \int 4x^2+1 dx - \frac {1}{4} \int 2x+1 dx + \frac {1}{4} \int 2x+1[/tex]
= [tex]\frac{-4x^3}{6}+x-\frac{x^2}{4}+x+\frac{x^2}{4}-x+c[/tex]
= [tex]\frac {-2x^3}{3}+x+c[/tex]

Last question:
[tex]\int \frac {2}{(x^2+x+2)(x+1)}dx[/tex]

let [tex]\frac {2}{(x^2+x+2)(x+1)} \equiv \frac {Ax+B}{(x+\frac {1}{2})^2 + \frac {7}{4}} + \frac {C}{x+1}[/tex]

[tex]\equiv \frac {(Ax+B)(x+1)+C((x+\frac {1}{2})^2+\frac {7}{4})}{(x^2+x+2)(x+1)}[/tex]

[tex]2\equiv x^2(A+C)+x(A+B+C)+B+2C[/tex]

equating coefficients:
A+C=0
A+B+C=0
B+2C=2

so: A=-1, B=0, C=1

putting it back into the integral:
[tex]\int \frac {2}{(x^2+x+2)(x+1)}dx = -\int \frac {x}{(x+\frac {1}{2})^2+\frac {7}{4}} dx + \int \frac {1}{x+1} dx[/tex]

I integrated the first part using the 'Integration by parts' method and then simplified to get:

[tex]\frac {-x}{\sqrt {\frac{7}{4}}} \arctan (\frac {x+\frac{1}{2}}{\sqrt {7}}) - \tan (\frac {2x+1}{\sqrt{7}}) + ln(x+1) + c[/tex]

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For #1 and #2, I want you to look very hard at the part where you subbed A and B back in and see if you see anything wrong (are you sure all those functions of x should be in the numerator?).

I'll look at 3 in a minute~

3 looks fine from the work you have down, but your answer is wrong. Check over your integration by parts~

Oops...

is #1
[tex]\frac {-1}{2a} ln(2ax+2a^2) + \frac {1}{2a} ln(2ax-2a^2) + c
?

for #2
[tex]\frac {-1}{2} \int \frac {1}{4x^2+1} dx - \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1) + \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1)[/tex]
I don't know how to integrate [tex]\int \frac {1}{4x^2+1} dx[/tex] ?

#3...I got to:
[tex]\frac {-x}{2(x^2+x+2)} - \int \frac {1}{2x^4+8x^2+8x+4}[/tex]
but I don't know what to do after that...

sorry, sorry, I mucked up the reply...

it's supposed to be...

Oops...

is #1
[tex]\frac {-1}{2a} ln(2ax+2a^2) + \frac {1}{2a} ln(2ax-2a^2) + c[/tex]
?

for #2
[tex]\frac {-1}{2} \int \frac {1}{4x^2+1} dx - \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1) + \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1)[/tex]
I don't know how to integrate [tex]\int \frac {1}{4x^2+1} dx[/tex] though?

#3...I got to:
[tex]\frac {-x}{2(x^2+x+2)} - \int \frac {1}{2x^4+8x^2+8x+4}[/tex]
but I don't know what to do after that...

[tex] \int \frac{dx}{4x^{2}+1}=\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{d(2x)}{(2x)^{2}+1}=\frac{1}{2}\arctan 2x +C [/tex]

Okay...?

so #2 becomes
[tex]\frac {-1}{4} \arctan(2x) - \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1) + \frac {1}{8}ln(2x+1) + c[/tex] ?

#1 looks right. You can simplify it to

[tex]\frac{1}{2a} \ln \left(\frac{x-a}{x+a} \right) + C[/tex]

too. Do you see how?

#2 is perfect.

For 3, note that

[tex]\int \frac{2}{(x^2+x+2)(x+1)} \ dx = -\int \frac{x}{\left(x+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 + \frac{7}{4}} \ dx + \int \frac{dx}{x+1}[/tex]

[tex] = -\int \frac{x + \frac{1}{4}}{\left(x + \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 + \frac{7}{4}} \ dx + \int \frac{\frac{1}{4}}{\left(x + \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 + \frac{7}{4}} \ dx + \ln (x+1)[/tex]

[tex] = -\int \frac{x + \frac{1}{4}}{\left(x + \frac{1}{2}\right)^2 + \frac{7}{4}} \ dx + \frac{1}{2\sqrt{7}}\arctan \left( \frac{2x+1}{\sqrt{7}} \right) + \ln (x+1)[/tex]

and see if the substitution [itex] u = (x+ 1/2)^2[/itex] will help to evaluate the first integral.

Last edited:

1. How do I check my integration answers?

To check your integration answers, you can use a graphing calculator or an online integral calculator. Simply input the integral and its limits, and the calculator will provide the solution. You can also manually check your answers by taking the derivative of the integral and comparing it to the original function.

2. What are some common mistakes when checking integration answers?

Some common mistakes when checking integration answers include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrect application of integration rules, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It's important to double check your work and go back through each step to ensure accuracy.

3. Are there any tips for checking integration answers?

One tip for checking integration answers is to always use parentheses when dealing with multiple terms within an integral. This helps avoid errors in algebraic manipulations. It's also helpful to simplify the integral as much as possible before checking the answer.

4. How can I improve my integration skills?

To improve your integration skills, practice is key. Start with simpler integrals and gradually move on to more complex ones. Use different methods, such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. You can also find online resources and textbooks for additional practice problems.

5. What should I do if I can't find the correct answer for an integral?

If you are unable to find the correct answer for an integral, double check your work and try using a different method. If you are still unable to find the correct answer, it's possible that the integral may not have an analytic solution. In this case, you can use numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule to approximate the integral.