1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help - Chemistry

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    100mL of 0.2mol/L sodium carbonate solution and 200mL of 0.1mol/L calcium nitrate solution are mixed together. Calculate the mass of the calcium carbonate that would precipitate and the concentration of the sodium nitrate solution that will be produced...

2. Relevant equations
    Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Its supposed to be a review question but I dont remember doing anything even close to this question.

Need help on what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Write the chemical reaction, balanced. Find the ratios involved and set up the resulting concentration resulting for the sodium nitrate and the mass for calcium carbonate.

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Would you use the idea of the limiting reagent to determine how many moles you have of calcium carbonate and sodium nitrate?

Then multiply the moles of calcium carbonate by the molar mass to get the mass

and divide the number of moles of sodium nitrate by the total volume to get the concentration?

5. Nov 15, 2008 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes; that is an excellent idea.

Convert your starting quantities into moles of each. Your reaction stoichiometry will tell you which reactant is the limiting reactant.

6. Nov 15, 2008 #5
    I got 0.02 moles of each, and since it has a mole ratio of 1:1, this would mean that both would be completely used up? and wouldnt matter which one I used to calculate the other stuff

7. Nov 16, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

2xYes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?