Which University Offers the Best Aeronautical Engineering Program?

• Thread starter zainrocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary: I couldn't figure out myself so I decided to post here to get some professional advice....Does that mean that I can to masters in Aerospace? And does it limit me to aeronautics only and I will not be able to pursue astronautics in masters? Same question for if a do Aeronautical Eng from one of the above universities...All the schools you listed offer a ME degree with an Aeronautical Concentration. This would allow you to pursue a masters in Aerospace. However, the field of aerospace includes a wide range of disciplines, so you would be able to do a variety of work in the field.
zainrocks
Hey..I'm about to finish my school and will begin university this fall. I have the following courses to choose from (i.e. where I was accepted to).

-McGill: http://www.mcgill.ca/mecheng/undergrad/curriculum/aeronautical/
-MEng from Bristol: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2011/sections/AENG/10/admissions
-MEng from Imperial:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/aeronautics/aeroeng
-BEng from Manchester:
http://www.mace.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/unitInformation/unitSpecification.htm?programme_id=40&level_id=4&unit_id=103
-MEng from Sheffield:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/prospectus/courseDetails.do?id=3780742010

Please tell me that which one is best or are all the same. And what about the McGill one..it says that I'll be a Mechanical Engineer with an Aeronautical concentration. Does that mean that I can to masters in Aerospace? And does it limit me to aeronautics only and I will not be able to pursue astronautics in masters? Same question for if a do Aeronautical Eng from one of the above universities. Also, I'd like to know how these courses compare to the ones offered in the US..better or same?

Thank you so much. I couldn't figure out myself so I decided to post here to get some professional advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zainrocks said:
...Does that mean that I can to masters in Aerospace? And does it limit me to aeronautics only and I will not be able to pursue astronautics in masters? Same question for if a do Aeronautical Eng from one of the above universities...

I know several Mech E's doing grad work in aerospace.

I did my undergrad as a mechanical engineer and am now working on my Ph.D. in aerospace. What does that mean for you? It means that MEs, when they play their cards correctly, are qualified to do aerospace work.

As for as your list of schools, McGill and Imperial are easily the best known programs. I think if it were me choosing, I would personally choose Imperial. However, just because it is the most highly regarded doesn't mean it is the best for you. Have you been to any of these schools for a visit?

boneh3ad said:
As for as your list of schools, McGill and Imperial are easily the best known programs. I think if it were me choosing, I would personally choose Imperial. However, just because it is the most highly regarded doesn't mean it is the best for you.
I agree they are the best known internationally.

On the other hand, there are two large multinational aerospace companies with major UK sites right next door to Bristol. It depends what your longer term plans are.

Thank you so much for all your replies!

1. What should I consider when deciding my future career?

When deciding on your future career, it's important to consider your interests, skills, values, and goals. Think about what you enjoy doing, what you are good at, what is important to you, and what you hope to achieve in the long-term. These factors can help guide you towards a fulfilling and successful career path.

2. How do I know which career is right for me?

Choosing the right career can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can do to help you make a decision. Start by researching different career options and their job duties, requirements, and potential salary. You can also consider taking career assessments or talking to a career counselor for guidance. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing can give you a better idea of what a career is really like.

3. Should I choose a career based on salary or passion?

This is a common question, and the answer is not always straightforward. It's important to find a balance between making a living and doing something you enjoy. While a high salary may seem appealing, pursuing a career solely for the money may lead to dissatisfaction in the long run. On the other hand, following your passion without considering the financial aspect may also lead to financial struggles. Consider your priorities and what makes you truly happy when making this decision.

4. How can I prepare for my future career?

There are several steps you can take to prepare for your future career. First, gain relevant education and skills through academic coursework or vocational training. Networking and building connections in your desired field can also be beneficial. Additionally, gaining experience through internships, part-time jobs, or volunteer work can make you a more competitive candidate in the job market.

5. Is it okay to change my career path in the future?

Yes, it is completely normal and acceptable to change your career path in the future. It's important to remember that your interests and goals may change over time, and it's okay to pivot and pursue a different career. What matters most is that you are happy and fulfilled in your chosen path, so don't be afraid to make changes as needed.